Reunification Parenting Plan

K

Kaitlyn

Jurisdiction
Oregon
I have three boys, ages 2 1/2, 1 1/2, and 3 months. They haven't seen their biological dad since January 2013 for a few-day visit. Since then, they've had phone calls with him about monthly. He's now saying that he's going to come visit them this summer and have them in his care for the two one-week blocks that our current parenting plan gives him. After the two weeks (with a one-week period in between in which they will be back with me, per our plan), he's going to go back to his home and won't visit for another eight months at the earliest. He lives in another country due to his job but has freely stated that it's been his personal choice to not visit the kids.

The kids haven't seen him in what will be 3 1/2 years this summer and I think that there should be a reunification process put in place, and that it should be slow. Two of the boys are on IEPs at school for ADHD and autism and behavioral issues, all of which cause them to have a very hard time with changes in routine, and they are both emotionally much younger than their peers.

Any suggestions on reunification plans or details? I want to modify the current parenting plan to change the terms of his upcoming visit, to better reunify our boys with him at a pace more appropriate for the boys need for adjustment and stability. Their father does not agree with the idea of a slow reunification process; he wishes to go at his pace rather than at their pace.

I don't want to prevent their father from seeing them. I want him to have an active role in their lives and have a good relationship with our boys. But I don't want the boys to go from not seeing him for years to going to a situation where they're with him for a week straight with no option to be with me, where they're in an environment in which they're comfortable and secure.

Anything is appreciated. Thank you.

I have three boys, ages 2 1/2, 1 1/2, and 3 months. They haven't seen their biological dad since January 2013 for a few-day visit. Since then, they've had phone calls with him about monthly. He's now saying that he's going to come visit them this summer and have them in his care for the two one-week blocks that our current parenting plan gives him. After the two weeks (with a one-week period in between in which they will be back with me, per our plan), he's going to go back to his home and won't visit for another eight months at the earliest. He lives in another country due to his job but has freely stated that it's been his personal choice to not visit the kids.

The kids haven't seen him in what will be 3 1/2 years this summer and I think that there should be a reunification process put in place, and that it should be slow. Two of the boys are on IEPs at school for ADHD and autism and behavioral issues, all of which cause them to have a very hard time with changes in routine, and they are both emotionally much younger than their peers.

Any suggestions on reunification plans or details? I want to modify the current parenting plan to change the terms of his upcoming visit, to better reunify our boys with him at a pace more appropriate for the boys need for adjustment and stability. Their father does not agree with the idea of a slow reunification process; he wishes to go at his pace rather than at their pace.

I don't want to prevent their father from seeing them. I want him to have an active role in their lives and have a good relationship with our boys. But I don't want the boys to go from not seeing him for years to going to a situation where they're with him for a week straight with no option to be with me, where they're in an environment in which they're comfortable and secure.

Anything is appreciated. Thank you.

Based on the ages of the kids, one might think they've never seen the man you call their dad.

This poster has been wandering up and down the Intrawebs, playing games on other forums. Don't waste your electrons or bandwidth on him/her/it.

Yeah - the ages of the kids doesn't even fit the rest of the post.

Back