return a Kirby vacuum after the 3 day grace period

Karla

Jurisdiction
Illinois
About three weeks ago I relucently bought a kirby vacuum, the sales person had been at my house for 4 hours. I just wanted her to leave so I could enjoy my evening. But anyways, while she was here, the kirby vacuumed and picked up everything off the the floor much like the vacuum I already had. Now 3 weeks later, I cannot get it to vacuum dog hair or grass out of my rug and carpet. I have tried it with both the hose attachment and the power nozzle along with changing the height of the nozzle, it just wont pick the hair or grass up. I am frustrated and would like my old vacuum back, since it is actually better picking the grass and hair up, but three weeks later I doubt I will get it back. I just feel that this kirby vacuum is over priced and I want to return it if possible. I have not made a payment on it yet other than the $100.00 down payment on 08/10/15.
Thank you

About three weeks ago I relucently bought a kirby vacuum, the sales person had been at my house for 4 hours. I just wanted her to leave so I could enjoy my evening. But anyways, while she was here, the kirby vacuumed and picked up everything off the the floor much like the vacuum I already had. Now 3 weeks later, I cannot get it to vacuum dog hair or grass out of my rug and carpet. I have tried it with both the hose attachment and the power nozzle along with changing the height of the nozzle, it just wont pick the hair or grass up. I am frustrated and would like my old vacuum back, since it is actually better picking the grass and hair up, but three weeks later I doubt I will get it back. I just feel that this kirby vacuum is over priced and I want to return it if possible. I have not made a payment on it yet other than the $100.00 down payment on 08/10/15.
Thank you

Its too late to break the contract.
If you don't pay, the creditor could eventually decide to pursue you.

If you were qualified to file bankruptcy, it could erase all of your debts, including the Kirby debt.

You can continue to ignore paying the debt and see what develops.

That said, Kirby is said to aggressively pursue their non-paying debtors.

So, what you do is entirely up to you.

I assume you signed a contract - language in contract applies.

Speaking of the contract, this is where you need to look to determine your options. Did the salesperson mention a warranty? A money back period? Any other important remedy you might wish for if you are trading in your old device for the new (such as a 30 day trial period?)

There are federal and state laws that deal with what are typically referred to as a "cooling off period" but those usually last 72 hours or so. The Oregon Department of Justice Door-to-Door Sales sheet has an excellent explanation of what should have occurred in your case and legal rights and remedies for pressure sales. The truth is that as polite as I am (and I also try not to rude to a salesperson), there comes a point where you need to put your foot down and say no if that is what you want to do. I am guessing that you may be able to get the device serviced or replaced if it has truly deteriorated so quickly, even if you might not be able to rescind the contract. Good luck.

Back