Reasonable Expectation of Hours

A

Allienola63

Jurisdiction
California
I have been an on call employee for nearly 2 years, averaging 21 hours a week. My immediate supervisor resigned in August and I have only worked 7 hours a week since. I have been assured increased hours after a short transition period. I have faced financial hardship since my hours have been reduced. Do I have the right to expect to work 21 hours per week during the transition based my on past work schedule with the company?

Agreed. You do not have any such legal expectation under the law. Unless a legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA expressly and in so many words guarantees you 21 hours or more, then you are entitled to exactly as many hours as the employer wants to schedule you for, no more and no less.

I have been an on call employee for nearly 2 years, averaging 21 hours a week. My immediate supervisor resigned in August and I have only worked 7 hours a week since. I have been assured increased hours after a short transition period. I have faced financial hardship since my hours have been reduced. Do I have the right to expect to work 21 hours per week during the transition based my on past work schedule with the company?
I'd like to hear more about who assured you increased hours and what such assurances were based on.

Do I have the right to expect to work 21 hours per week during the transition based my on past work schedule with the company?

The right - no! (not unless you have some type of binding employment contract guaranteeing 21 hrs. or more per week. File for partial unemployment ins. as suggested - the state will decide if you qualify.

Back