Question in A Bottle (SOS)

thebiglaskowski

Jurisdiction
Arizona
To whomever receives this message, my wife and I seem to be closing in on the completion of our divorce. My wife has an attorney. I'm pro-per. My wife is unemployed. I work full-time. We have two daughters (one is 6 months old and, the other is 2 years old). I'm currently paying her about $2200.00 per month in total support ($1100.00 of it is spousal support). I've been paying the spousal support for 6 months but my wife wants me to continue paying even after the divorce is finalized. In the decree, she's asking that I continue to pay her $600.00 per month, for no longer than 1 year until she finds a job. Is this pretty standard procedure?

The other thing that's really confusing though is the fact she keeps telling me she's divorcing me because she doesn't want our old (3 years worth of) marriage. She wants to move back in together after my current lease expires, and she wants to remarry me in the church. In the meantime I'm working my tail off, living alone in a one bedroom apartment, supporting her, her son (from previous), our two daughters, my son (from previous, only with me part-time), and myself. All while she lives at her parents, rent free. And to top it off my wages are about to be garnished because I was ordered to pay her $3000.00 dollars for legal fees (even though she signed an IOU agreement to borrow the $3000.00 from her parents). This just doesn't seem right. How is this not fraud?

Without an attorney, you usually get shafted.

You must decide if you take the bait again.
Most people wouldn't retie the knot.

Alimony is rare these days, insofar as average working people go.
Alimony, or spousal support, tends to be more prevalent with the upper classes.

You really need a lawyer, mate.

Finally, you mention nothing about custody, or visitation.

Anyway, best of luck.

Back