Oil Change Nightmare

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
I had an oil change on Thursday as I was going out of town on Friday for a wedding. The company that changed the oil forgot to include the O ring and all of the oil drained out which can cause permanent damage to my vehicle that is leased. I should not be held responsible.

I had an oil change on Thursday as I was going out of town on Friday for a wedding. The company that changed the oil forgot to include the O ring and all of the oil drained out which can cause permanent damage to my vehicle that is leased. I should not be held responsible.
Agreed. What did the shop propose as a resolution?

EDIT: Please clarify. WAS permanent damage caused?

What is your question(s)?

The company that changed the oil forgot to include the O ring and all of the oil drained out which can cause permanent damage to my vehicle that is leased. I should not be held responsible.

O ring? Typically, an oil change involves removing a bolt to allow the old oil to drain, replacing the bolt, removing the old filter, placing a new filter, and adding new oil. Where is there an O ring involved?

In any event, you haven't given us much to go on. I'm assuming the oil didn't just drain out all at once, so what was the process of it draining? Where did you first stop after you left the oil change facility? Did you notice a puddle of oil under your car? Obviously, you noticed this at some point. When was that, and how much had you driven up to that point? I'm assuming you've since rectified the situation. Correct? Has your vehicle shown any signs of damage (permanent or otherwise)? Have you had the car checked by a mechanic? Made any repairs? If so, what was the cost?

O ring? Typically, an oil change involves removing a bolt to allow the old oil to drain, replacing the bolt, removing the old filter, placing a new filter, and adding new oil. Where is there an O ring involved?
The bolt may have an o-ring that needs to be reinstalled or replaced at the oil change. Same for the oil filter, depending on the vehicle.

EDIT: To be clear, "o-ring" may misstate the actual part. It may be some sort of washer and not an actual o-ring.

Back