need to know my rights...been here a yr,,,hes trying to get me to move cause i wont be his gf

samera

Jurisdiction
Colorado
i refuse to leave until i'm prepared to....he invited me here and as soon as i got moved in he acted like it was okay for me to fake any feelings i have...hes 70 this sept...i am 63....he is now on a site trying to find...as he puts it" companionship" but its more really....and hes now in contact with a married lady in OK and trying to get her to leave her marriage for him....he plans on telling me i need to move when i have no where to go....so i need to know if squatters rights will put the fear of god into him cause he HATES to spend money...he lured me here knowing i didnt want him...hes in breech as far as i know....need to know what i should try and whom i should call....and no...wont go to a shelter....have too much stuff and been in one already...they dont help you...

No, you don't have squatters rights.

You're a guest in his house unless you pay rent.

He can put you out at any time and evict you if you don't go.

Eviction doesn't cost much.

If you don't want to end up in a shelter I suggest you find a job or go on Social Security (if eligible) so you can afford a small apartment.

No, you don't have squatters rights.

You're a guest in his house unless you pay rent.

He can put you out at any time and evict you if you don't go.

Eviction doesn't cost much.

If you don't want to end up in a shelter I suggest you find a job or go on Social Security (if eligible) so you can afford a small apartment.
I "am " on ssi and cant afford what avalibul.....and i have paid rent...but had to pay in cash.....so even tho i live here and get my mail sent here....that means i have NO rights?thats not what i've been told....and shelters are a joke.....sorry...but are you a lawyer?

i was told by many ppl that as long as i get mail here and reside here that he will have a very hard time getting me out just cause he wants to start a relationship with a married woman....hes been to the court house and a lawyer but they gave him a ton of paoerwork and wanted alot of money to try to evict me....so i need a ph number i can call of a lawyer that can take my case...pro bono...this idiot lured me here knowing i was raped and didnt want any relationship...now he thinks he has the right to change his tune cause he cant get his way.....Thats not right....i should have some sort of rights here and i need to know them...hes on Prozac and zanex an is pathological as all get out.....wanted to kill himself until i got here....sound like a man with a sound mind to you? and now he thinks he has the RIGHT,,to beak up a marriage just to get his way....no wonder his wife of 40s ago left him...they were married just 2 yrs too...shes the one who left.....

Last edited:
You pay rent. That makes you a tenant and both of you are subject to the CO landlord tenant statute.

If you've been there more than 1 year he has to give you 91 days written notice that your tenancy is terminated unless you haven't quite made it to one year, then it's only 28 days.

Colorado Revised Statute 12-40-107. Notice to Quit.

(1) A tenancy may be terminated by notice in writing, served not less than the respective period fixed before the end of the applicable tenancy, as follows:

(a) A tenancy for one year or longer, ninety-one days;

(b) A tenancy of six months or longer but less than a year, twenty-eight days;

(2) Such notice shall describe the property and the particular time when the tenancy will terminate and shall be signed by the landlord or tenant, the party giving such notice or his agent or attorney.

(3) Any person in possession of real property with the assent of the owner is presumed to be a tenant at will until the contrary is shown.

You can believe what you want to believe but I suggest you start preparing to move. Even if it is hard for him to evict and even if it costs him some money and even if it takes many months, eventually you will be out and nothing you are writing about will change that.

Start preparing now for that eventuality while you still have control over the where and when.

If you wait and do nothing, one day the sheriff will come and put you out and then what.

You pay rent. That makes you a tenant and both of you are subject to the CO landlord tenant statute.

If you've been there more than 1 year he has to give you 91 days written notice that your tenancy is terminated unless you haven't quite made it to one year, then it's only 28 days.

Colorado Revised Statute 12-40-107. Notice to Quit.

(1) A tenancy may be terminated by notice in writing, served not less than the respective period fixed before the end of the applicable tenancy, as follows:

(a) A tenancy for one year or longer, ninety-one days;

(b) A tenancy of six months or longer but less than a year, twenty-eight days;

(2) Such notice shall describe the property and the particular time when the tenancy will terminate and shall be signed by the landlord or tenant, the party giving such notice or his agent or attorney.

(3) Any person in possession of real property with the assent of the owner is presumed to be a tenant at will until the contrary is shown.

You can believe what you want to believe but I suggest you start preparing to move. Even if it is hard for him to evict and even if it costs him some money and even if it takes many months, eventually you will be out and nothing you are writing about will change that.

Start preparing now for that eventuality while you still have control over the where and when.

If you wait and do nothing, one day the sheriff will come and put you out and then what.
thank you it helps alittle...and i AM looking...but most are 22 and expect over 800 a month plus 500 for a deposit...i just get 731...and i will be here a yr the 7th of june

how can i make it difficult on him? i know he hates confrontation...most spineless male i've ever meant....hes an expert liar too...when he went to that court house...he got a parking ticket...when he went to court the judge is letting him complealy off....he pays zero when it would of been over 100$ so want to know how to make him beleave i have more rights than he think till i can safely leave...any suggestions? he uses intimidation...need him to back down

Last edited:
If he doesn't give you your written notice before June 7 then he will have to give you the 91 days.

If he neglects the written notice he won't be able to evict through the courts and that might help you delay things a bit longer.

I can understand not wanting to go to a shelter. Try looking for a room in somebody's house, maybe trade housekeeping services for a reduced rent.

Look into senior housing assistance like this:

Rental Help: Colorado - HUD

Look for other senior assistance services.

There's gotta be a solution to your problem that won't involve a shelter or homelessness.

how can i make it difficult on him?

In the long run you are better off trying to get out of that situation and take care of yourself.

If he doesn't give you your written notice before June 7 then he will have to give you the 91 days.

If he neglects the written notice he won't be able to evict through the courts and that might help you delay things a bit longer.

I can understand not wanting to go to a shelter. Try looking for a room in somebody's house, maybe trade housekeeping services for a reduced rent.

Look into senior housing assistance like this:

Rental Help: Colorado - HUD

Look for other senior assistance services.

There's gotta be a solution to your problem that won't involve a shelter or homelessness.i soooo agree...and have thought of just tose things with no reslults...was

In the long run you are better off trying to get out of that situation and take care of yourself.

i am doing all those things...no results tho..i've insisted on a contact cause i will need it for welfair....lol one way to skin a pole cat...he has the only copy and without me having it to prove i rent here i'm screwed....am getting rent receipts too.... plus several months ago he told social security i rent here....does that help? i want to try to make the remainder of my stay a good one until i can leave...blaim me?

trust me i have gone that rout and it doesnt end well...they wont help cause i have to be about 5 yrs older...am getting a copy of rental agreement...told him i needed one to get back on food stamps......lol
intend on fighting dirty...like he has....want to leave...trust me...just not be put out cause his married gf said he had to....bull sht too.....

intend on fighting dirty...like he has....want to leave...trust me...just not be put out cause his married gf said he had to....bull sht too.....
infact they just text....shes all the way in OK....and they havent done that for more than 3 days....hes old so she thinks he has money cause thats how he lies....will use gorilla warfare....he doesnt think i have it in me...bigggg mistake

will use gorilla warfare

That's actually guerrilla warfare, a form of irregular warfare in which a small group of combatants such as paramilitary personnel, armed civilians, or irregulars use military tactics including ambushes, sabotage, raids, petty warfare, hit-and-run tactics, and mobility.

Though I suppose having him beaten up by a gorilla could work, too.;)

have no choice...its that...or just ignoring him and i tried the latter and his response was to go to the court house...hes a small minded person and a fraud so that makes it harder to smile knowing what i know

have no choice...its that...or just ignoring him and i tried the latter and his response was to go to the court house...hes a small minded person and a fraud so that makes it harder to smile knowing what i know
its kinda like talking down to a 3 yr old who cant grasp BASIC English and its very stressful...with him i have turned into a bytch and i hate that

need definition of a GUEST...when you cook...bring in food for over 8 months...clean...weed....plant plants for the yard....just dont sleep with him.....need to know my rights....like can he boot me out without giving me a 90 day notice just because i dont agree to NEVER get mad...which he claims he did not cause in the first place...so he runs to the court house to see the procedure to start an eviction when the ppl he goes to dont even know how he invited me here with express thinking he would have someone to sleep with....even tho i wouldnt of even moved in cause i told him hes not my type and he said i would be safe and could stay here un molested for as long as i wanted.....just what can you advise please? what paper work do i need? there are atleast 5 ppl that Know i live here...including social security and the mail.....
And yes but finding some where half way decent is gonna be longer than i thought....i want to be out before the snow flys....and he knows this...but he still gives me too much grief.....

I thought we covered all this already.

We've already established that you are a tenant, not a guest, and that he has to give you 91 days written notice if he hasn't given you the 28 days written notice by June 7th.

You don't have to go to court, he has to.

You don't need any paperwork, he needs the paperwork.

All you have to do is stay put until he does file in court and does serve you the court papers.

Then you can defend against the eviction by raising the lack of proper notice as a defense.

Please, from now on keep all your discussion in this thread where all the background is and don't open other threads. It just confuses things. Which is why you'll find your duplicate post gone.

Colorado law is on your side. Understand it and use it against him if you need the extra time to find another place.

Last edited:
Back