My rights as a parent

Pamela Dixon

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Hi
I have a 17 year old and she has a 5 month old baby. I am financially supporting my daugter and grand son. The Police officer came and told my daughter and I she was emancipated and can move out if she want. I find out later that the court will have to make that decision for my daughter to be emacipated. The father of her child move to PA. I know I do not have rights over my grandchild even though I provide and take care of him also. The other grand mom comes to pick up my daughter and grandson and take them out of state when ever she wants. I try to talk to her but she feels that she can take my daughter out of state even though I am legally responsible. And I was told I can get into trouble if that happen. But she was like her son do not have permission to leave the state. I am not trying to get my daughter emancipated but what could be done with the other grandma taking my daughter out of state every week. My daughter still is in scholl and I talk to her and she does not listen because the other grandmom picks her up and she refuse to listen to me.

Your daughter is not emancipated except medically (she can make her own health care decisions). If you don't want her going with out of state you tell her No. And if she goes anyway, you see that there are consequences. She is still a minor. You are her parent. Act like it.

Your daughter is not emancipated except medically (she can make her own health care decisions). If you don't want her going with out of state you tell her No. And if she goes anyway, you see that there are consequences. She is still a minor. You are her parent. Act like it.
For

First of all do not come at me like that I just ask a question. I did tell her not to go when she leaves the house I am at work when the lady pick her up. I even spoke to the lady and told her not to pick them up.The police said she has the rights to do so I do not need you to tell me to act like a parent. When the police tell me I could not do anything. I donot appreciate how you came at me and I will go for help somewhere else. You need to stop giving advice because you are out of pocket.

First of all do not come at me like that I just ask a question. I did tell her not to go when she leaves the house I am at work when the lady pick her up. I even spoke to the lady and told her not to pick them up.The police said she has the rights to do so I do not need you to tell me to act like a parent. When the police tell me I could not do anything. I donot appreciate how you came at me and I will go for help somewhere else. You need to stop giving advice because you are out of pocket.
No one "came at you." You wanted advice you got it. The police are wrong unless they have a court order that says your daughter has been legally emancipated.

Did your daughter go to court? Did a court declare her emancipated? Did you sign your approval?

No?

Then she's not emancipated, no matter what the police say.

You wanted to know what your rights as a parent are. I'm telling you. Your rights are to be a parent! Your rights are to say NO when your daughter wants to do something you don't want her to do! I am supporting your right to be a parent to your child! I'm trying to have your back! What were you looking for?

No you not supporting me this thing has turn in to a fight battle and I do not have the police on my side. Like I say the police say I have no rights just because you tell a child no does not stop them for doing anything on top of that the police on her side the woman that is taking her is the problem . The police even told my daughter she can move with them you tell me what I can do to stop this lady this should be consider kidnapping if you can you can consider yourself helping

No you not supporting me this thing has turn in to a fight battle and I do not have the police on my side. Like I say the police say I have no rights just because you tell a child no does not stop them for doing anything on top of that the police on her side the woman that is taking her is the problem . The police even told my daughter she can move with them you tell me what I can do to stop this lady this should be consider kidnapping if you can you can consider yourself helping

Really lady? We have told you what to do. THE POLICE ARE WRONG!!! YOU have all the rights as the parent. YOUR DAUGHTER has NO rights to come and go as she pleases until she reaches the age of majority in your state.

You need to go that police station/precinct whoever and talk to the station commander or whoever is in charge. Whoever is the chief of police or whatever the hierarchy is in your town, county, etc, you go to that person and you tell them what these cops are doing. Before that you get the badge numbers and names of these cops who told you this. If the police chief gives you the run around you go higher.

The police aren't the ones who make the law - they are supposed to enforce it. They aren't enforcing it right. They're giving you shit. OR you are misunderstanding them.

It is kidnapping if they take her without your permission. Get a lawyer ASAP and have him or her help you out.

Just because you don't like the answers people are giving you doesn't mean no one is helping you. We are. You just seem to want to take the word of the police. Guess what? Those police are incompetent. Stop calling them. Go above them. As high as you can. Get a lawyer.

Back