Married & moved in w/a mother of 3 renting a house. Am I legally resp. for rent & living expenses?

O

OakHill

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I own a home, and when I got married my wife and her 3 children were renting a house. Before marriage, we discussed a plan to rent my house after I moved in with her, so her kids would not have to change schools and be relocated. I gladly agreed to contribute to the household expenses at the rental house, to our everyday other expenses (car fuel, entertainment, travel, groceries, etc.) with the stipulation that I'm limited in what I can do financially until my house is rented. Last week, my house was rented. I have not realized any profits from the rental proceeds as yet, and none of my living expense budget is free'd up yet. So- 6 weeks ago, my wife became unemployed. Her last paycheck has been received by her. She still receives child support from her ex however, so she does have some money for living expenses. I've been asking her to keep me advised of how much she needs for paying the rent- HER name is on the lease. Last week, she gave me a number- 50% of the total rent amount, which I paid. We're now in a marital dispute about other things, and now she's saying she can't pay any of the rent. She has no job, her name is on the lease, but I now live there. What am I legally responsible for?

Buddy, your problem isn't your lease, your house, or what you are legally responsible for. This is your WIFE. She is now unemployed. Presumably you are still employed. Even discounting the mortgage on your house, you have some disposable income. You haven't been paying rent it sounds like until now. Sounds like it is time to do so. Legally you may not be on the lease and therefore not on the hook for the rent but you are MARRIED. She loses the rental, you lose a home too. Her credit goes down as a result, so does yours. Alienate your wife by nickel and diming expenses, and you might find yourself homeless and wifeless with bad credit.

Buddy, your problem isn't your lease, your house, or what you are legally responsible for. This is your WIFE. She is now unemployed. Presumably you are still employed. Even discounting the mortgage on your house, you have some disposable income. You haven't been paying rent it sounds like until now. Sounds like it is time to do so. Legally you may not be on the lease and therefore not on the hook for the rent but you are MARRIED. She loses the rental, you lose a home too. Her credit goes down as a result, so does yours. Alienate your wife by nickel and diming expenses, and you might find yourself homeless and wifeless with bad credit.

All of this is sage advice.

I'll only add, divorce expenses can often exceed marriage expenses, albeit this would not be a long term marriage, limiting the potential financial havoc this fiasco could portend.

Back