landlord wont return messages have damaged property from storm.

K

Kristina12

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
I sent my landlord a repair report on 6/10/16 about our air conditioner not working. he never contacted me about that. Well on 7/11/16 we had a storm and the tree next to the house fell and landed on part of our neighbors property and damaged a few trees that they had planted this year. Part of the tree could fall at anytime either landing on our house or another neighbors house. I sent another report about the tree falling and the neighbors damaged property on 7/12/16. I let him know that our neighbors would like his insurance information for their damaged property. The tree still needs to be cut down before the rest of it falls and does any more damage or hurts someone. I sent him another report on 7/22/16 asking him to please contact me about the tree and the air conditioner. I still have herd from him or seen that he assigned the repair report to anyone. He is not returning messages or calling to let me know when he place on fixing the air conditioner or getting the tree cleaned up. what can I do?

Not much you can do, except keep waiting.

You appear to have a slumlord, not a landlord.

You are free NOT to renew your lease when the time comes.

Some tenants would hire a certified air condition agency or company to fix the air conditioner.
I'm NOT saying you should.
I am saying I have done that, without any issues.
You can suffer in the heat, if you desire not to pay to be comfortable.

Forget any other remedies, they take too long, and the result is very unsatisfying.

You are free to go to court, if that works bets for you, however.

For the AC, MN apparently allows for repair and deduct. Read the following article and then look up the cited statutes.

Minnesota Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent or "Repair and Deduct" | Nolo.com

504B - 2015 Minnesota Statutes

For the tree, tell your neighbor that you've had no response from your landlord, that they should go through their own insurance, and give them the name, address, and phone number of your landlord.

You've done all you can. If you are on a month to month tenancy (no lease with any time left on it) I suggest you give your notice and find another place to live.

Back