Is work place profiling legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mlcase27

Jurisdiction
Indiana
Question, my employer just accused Me of theft (which I didn't do!) He said I'm the most likely colprite because of my financial situation... I am very upset about this! He said if no one comes forward he is holding ME responcablele! How the hell can he do this??

Question, my employer just accused Me of theft (which I didn't do!) He said I'm the most likely colprite because of my financial situation... I am very upset about this! He said if no one comes forward he is holding ME responcablele! How the hell can he do this??

Not how, rather because he can.
If you're innocent, stand your ground.
Let the drama play out as it will.
While you're waiting, keep your mouth closed, your eyes and ears open.

It's a shame he's fastened on you if you are innocent, but he is not doing anything illegal. Unfair possibly. Illegal no.

This Indiana lawyer explains what an Indiana employer can do legally in situations similar to yours.

Read it:

Deductions from Your Indiana Paycheck: Is this Legal?

If deductions are arbitrarily taken from your wages to cover the ALLEGED theft, you have the makings of a valid complaint.

Indiana law allows certain categories of deductions to be taken from an employee's wages:
premiums on an insurance policy;
contributions to a charitable organization;
purchase price of bonds, securities or stock of the employing company;
labor union dues;
purchase price of merchandise sold by the employer to the employee;
repayment of a loan to the employee by the employer;
contributions to a hospital service or medical expense plan;
payment to an employee's direct deposit account.

Indiana law says deductions are permissible in the above circumstances if the employee's authorization is in writing, signed by the employee, revocable at any time with written notice, and a copy of the authorization is delivered to the employer within ten days after it is signed.

Now for a troubling announcement for employees in Indiana!

The Indiana Department of Labor accepts Wage Claims as a service to resolve wage disputes. We cannot guarantee compensation. In addition, Indiana law provides no job protection if you are terminated as a result of filing a wage claim against your current employer

DOL: Online Wage Claim Form

I must issue another sad admonishment.
The law is often remiss, reluctant, or useless to people not in that 1%.

It might behoove you, OP, to start looking for a new job.
Unfortunately you're employed by a bully.

so how could he hold me responsible?

Legally he can't hold you responsible.
If you're innocent, why would you ask THAT question?

As I said, now is the time to start looking for a new job, keep your mouth closed, your eyes and ears open.

No adult can convince another adult of anything if the other adult doesn't wish to believe it.

If the guy thinks you're a thief, nothing you can do to change that.

The worst thing you can do when you're innocent or guilty is try to explain your innocence.

The more you say, the guiltier you look.

He told me if I don't find out who did it he would hold me responsible, he is a real jerk so just didn't know if he was just trying to get me to admit something I didn't do but thanks for all the great advice everyone!

If he believes you are guilty, even if he is wrong, he can legally discipline you up to and including terming your employment. If he believes you guilty, even if he is wrong, he can report to the police that he BELIEVES you to be guilty. That does not mean the police will take any action. What he cannot do is require that you repay him for the stolen money.

He can say he believes you are responsible/guilty because there is no law that says he can't. He can take disciplinary action against you on what he believes. Unfair (which it might be) doesn't always equal illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back