Is my lawyer playing both sides of the fence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisaann

Hello I was injured at work in 2008 I have had two cervical surgeries and have a herniation below the hardware in my neck and nerve damage the lawyer I have is my second attorney because the 1st one wasn't getting me paid he was floundering so I hired this one then through the course of 2 yrs his paralegal upon me going for my mmi rating only sent 1/2 of my records and was making me do all the work with getting the Dr's to give notes(he wanted more money) and other records and I wasn't getting pd either! She did nothing to help finally her sending half the records was the final straw and I found a new attorney (the 3rd)who btw was nice at first he took me to my permanently hearing but then afterwards was mad about his fee being put in escrow I believe? And yelled at me when I called him because I got the award letter and didn't understand a part of it. so I called to ask him (the 2nd of 2 yrs)a question and he said he was sorry for the way my case was handled and asked to help so I said yes because I still needed to get my mileage and a yrs worth of out of pocket Dr's bills back. Unbeknownst to me the secretary is acting as the paralegal in a law firm where there are supposed to be 15 staff for work comp alone! I received my due and then it was onto continuing medical my case still open and active at this point, then we go for the hearing for continuing medical & he sends his partner who is rude and embarrassed me in the lobby in front of other lawyers and clients arguing why I need medical if I'm not gonna have a 3rd surgery (I now realize it was a psychological tactic to undermine my cause) so since then he has been completely evading having a face to face or even a phone conversation with me on the matter of worsening which he told me when I rehired him that would be our next step after the other was reimbursed. Twice I've tried to meet in the last yr and nothing yet so this last time 3 weeks ago, the secretary after I told her I want a meeting in the next 3 weeks says she'll have to ask him when he can comes back on Monday.Then she comes back with "He said he's going to a settlement conference on the 23rd and he'll meet with you after that" and I said "what's that a conference where all the attorneys meet with the same company and discuss their clients settlements?" She said "yes" it didn't seem right to me so I googled "settlement conference in workers compensation & personal injury because I got hit by an insurance adjuster in 2013 and let them handle that case as well (now I'm second guessing that decision) so then I find out that a "Settlement Conference is supposed to INCLUDE THE CLIENT! A mediator and the lawyers for the opposing side! Question is? Is this guy about to settle my case behind my back or is he working on an agenda of his own for himself? Because that's what it is looking like and do I fire him yet again or insist on speaking to him and telling him what i know? I'm already on the stick for $9000 between the 3 and all because each one dropped the ball and here we go again it seems? I'm feeling like these people are just making money off of me! Can you please give me some good advice as to how to rectify this situation before it's too late? Sincerely. Very tired of the games!

Last edited:
Please use punctuation. It is hard to read a block of text with no sentences.

I didn't follow the whole saga but the question appears to be if you must be at the settlement conference. I have done hundreds of these and only about half the time is the claimant present. When they are, they are not active participants. If you want to be there, tell your attorney but do not be surprised when much of the "conference" is between just the attorneys and mediator. Your hired this attorney to be your representative but do not appear to want a representative at all. You are welcome to go pro se, but I highly discourage it.

I would caution you against firing a 3rd attorney, lest you find yourself unable to retain a 4th. Rare is the attorney willing to even be the 3rd.

PS. The question about holding open medicals if you are not seeking surgery is valid and one for which he was going to need an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back