Is it legal? What can I do?

J

James806Tx

Jurisdiction
Texas
I started a job about 5 months ago at first it seemed great. Since then I have had some problems. The amount of hours I get paid for and the amount of hours I'm working don't add up. I work seven days a week and I know for a fact more than 40 hours a week. My boss's boss told him today he took 8 hours off of my time. I worked more than 40 but get paid for 32. I know I'm not crazy and I have kept accurate track for about a two months now. On top of that there is a person stealing from the donation boxes I work on and it's averaging out to 3 or 4 thousand pounds a week. I was told 15000 lbs would be enough to get me paid for a full 40 hours. Even with the theft working 7 days and over 40 hours is the only way I can get paid for just the 40. About a month ago my check was short yet again because if the guy stealing stuff. Its not my fault so why is my check what suffers? Is there anything I can do? I'm poor I can't afford an attorney. Why is my family made to suffer because of the actions of someone else? Help!!!!!!!Please

I started a job about 5 months ago at first it seemed great. Since then I have had some problems. The amount of hours I get paid for and the amount of hours I'm working don't add up. I work seven days a week and I know for a fact more than 40 hours a week. My boss's boss told him today he took 8 hours off of my time. I worked more than 40 but get paid for 32. I know I'm not crazy and I have kept accurate track for about a two months now. On top of that there is a person stealing from the donation boxes I work on and it's averaging out to 3 or 4 thousand pounds a week. I was told 15000 lbs would be enough to get me paid for a full 40 hours. Even with the theft working 7 days and over 40 hours is the only way I can get paid for just the 40. About a month ago my check was short yet again because if the guy stealing stuff. Its not my fault so why is my check what suffers? Is there anything I can do? I'm poor I can't afford an attorney. Why is my family made to suffer because of the actions of someone else? Help!!!!!!!Please

You are free to file a claim with the state:

How to Submit a Wage Claim Under Texas Payday Law - TWC

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/files/jobseekers/form-ll-1-wage-claim-twc.pdf

Don't expect miracles, don't expect quick results, and when a claim is filed some people find themselves unemployed.

You're between a rock and a hard place. I'm very sorry for you. There is no easy solution. While @army judge has provided you with resources you may need to be more firm with them about your needing to get paid. I don't know much about your company and am guessing that there is little way to create a paper trail. If you have the ability to ask these questions in text messages or email, it would probably go a long way towards also proving your case that they both (a) know that another employee is stealing; and (b) they are still underpaying you for the work. Any employment attorney would prefer to have anything you have in some type of documented format, even if the amount right now is unfortunately too low for it to make sense for them to take your case on contingency fee. Wishing you the best of luck.

Back