Indian giver

Lionel Jardell

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
A woodcarving friend recently went into an assisted living facility. He had his two daughters clean out his house & dispose of his/& wife's possessions.
One of the daughters called me & put him on the line. He told me he wanted to give me his carving tools & his daughter would tell me when to pick through his things & get the carving items (tools, wood, books, etc.) He said I could have it all & what I did not want I could give away.
On the day his two daughters came from out of town they called me & we made arrangements for me to go to his house while they were there to sort through his things for carving items. I went & collected much of his carving things. A third daughter had gone before me & got some things which she said she would not return to her other two sisters. (She has a history of law suits within the family). I have no problem with this.
With the two daughters permission, I took possession of the items I sorted & went home. About three weeks later he called me and said he made a mistake & wanted to get the things I had gotten & give it to his grandson.
My question is: are these items mine? And do I legally have to return them? Thanks

A woodcarving friend recently went into an assisted living facility. He had his two daughters clean out his house & dispose of his/& wife's possessions.
One of the daughters called me & put him on the line. He told me he wanted to give me his carving tools & his daughter would tell me when to pick through his things & get the carving items (tools, wood, books, etc.) He said I could have it all & what I did not want I could give away.
On the day his two daughters came from out of town they called me & we made arrangements for me to go to his house while they were there to sort through his things for carving items. I went & collected much of his carving things. A third daughter had gone before me & got some things which she said she would not return to her other two sisters. (She has a history of law suits within the family). I have no problem with this.
With the two daughters permission, I took possession of the items I sorted & went home. About three weeks later he called me and said he made a mistake & wanted to get the things I had gotten & give it to his grandson.
My question is: are these items mine? And do I legally have to return them? Thanks

Legally, NO, you need not return the wonderful gifts he gave you.

Morally, some might think you're stiffing a grandkid of his granddad's woodworking legacy. If you can live with breaking a child's heart, enjoy what might have been the grandkid's memory of his sweet, old, dying grandfather.

Back