Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft I think Wal-Mart is trying to arrest me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you dont care about the money then take whatever they offer and quit letting this run your life!

Again, they haven't offered me anything. They simply asked "what can we do for you". To which, I have no clue.

I know that I don't want it to rest simply on me. I would like people to know what has happened to us and that it could and probably happens to them.

Like I said, it has nothing to do with us (money wise), a lawyer can have all of it if we go that route.

Ok, let walmart, who has a billion dollar money bag hanging off their hip make or say anything ... regardless of what it does to the people they accuse. We should simply sit back and take it.

me-

Malchediel:

I don't know anything about loss prevention except from the view of someone detained, released, and then cited later, but I think maybe you should take the advice of jacksgal and just forget about this. I was outraged at having been detained and I thought the whole thing was illegal. By now my head has turned around completely on this. I found out that the detention thing was probably perfectly legal. Much worse, I have to deal with three criminal charges. See my post of a few days ago, "released but citation later". I also put up a couple of posts about this on thelaw.com. Anyways, my point is that something much worse could have happened to you and could still happen and so maybe you are lucky even though I am sure that it doesn't feel that way right now. Good luck.

I think I tend to agree to sue or at least call the news.

Looking back on the situation I understand Wal-Mart taking the first action. They saw someone with a computer and empty boxes in a cart. Later the computer is not seen in the cart. I think they should have stopped him as he was leaving the store to check the cart. The events after that are over the line, and should have never happened. They went as far as to say "Well since we can't get you on the computer, let's talk about laundry detergent."

Think about this - what if he had picked up the computer, then changed his mind and put it back on the shelf. They see him with the computer, then later without it. Could have been the same scenario.

Theres no denying Walmart did not follow known Loss Prevention methods for stop. Thats not issue here. It seems OP wants vengence of I get it. Sueing will take a lot of time and unless OP finds a Lawyer to take case on contigency it will be costly as well. OP says money isnt issue ok then take what Walmart wants to give (gift card likely) rather than let this consume them even more.

You shouldn't be shopping at Wal-Mart in the first place. It is your choice to return though. If you feel uncomfortable and think you are being watched then just go somewhere else.

It sounds like you were never formally charged with anything, just investigated. Wal-Mart has extremely good video surveillance on the whole property- I think it is bogus that they don't have video in the men's area.

Also, since they are investigating a theft, that means that the laptop never found its way back to electronics after you picked it up... very possibly picked up and moved to another locatio by another shopper or employee.

In short, they have nothing showing you taking the laptop, and without an admission on your part they have zilch for evidence to use against you. You are not obligated to talk to the police either. If they call again just tell them that it is in the past and you have nothing left to say.

Also... you should not be going through the store picking up empty boxes. Empty or not, they are not yours and you are taking them without permission. If they wanted to they could probably charge you with petty theft over the boxes since you have admitted to taking them.

Sounds like it is a dead issue though... let it go and shop at a locally owned store instead.

I don't think he just took the empty boxes. I seem to recall him saying they gave them to him. And that was the issue later - they saw these big boxes in the cart, but couldn't see inside the boxes on the camera, so they were trying to say he had put the computer in one of the boxes. When he left, the lady at the door wouldn't look inside them.

Hey, I'm a Liberty Grad too. I would love to talk to you about this. I use to be an attorney in Virginia and I have many attorney friends there including Jerry Jr. I'm sure you don't want him involved but you aren't too bad off. I know the police there in Lynchburg. If you are still having a problem let me know. Send me a private message and I'll give you my private info to contact me. Liberty grads have to stick together!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back