I think I came up with a GREAT idea!

missjoanna87

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I believe I came up with an amazing idea for a product, but I'm not sure of what steps I need to take to create the product. How do I go about doing this?

You could discuss your deals with a patent attorney for starters.

A cheaper approach is to search the Internet for several firms that claim to offer inventors assistance in turning a great idea into a great product, and get that product to market.

Be careful, make sure you fully "vet" any business before releasing your proprietary ideas to them.

How would I know if they are legit firms? I'm afraid to pay anyone and then get screwed over at the end, with them taking my money and idea.

You can verify/check if they have a legitimate phone # & address, do a google search on them & see what you can find out & check/verify with Better Busi. Bureau.

Otherwise, talk to a patent attorney for help.

I believe I came up with an amazing idea for a product, but I'm not sure of what steps I need to take to create the product. How do I go about doing this?

First thing I suggest you do is go to the US Patent and Trademark Office website and run a thorough search to see if the same, or similar, product is already patented.

While you are there you can also study up on patents in general.

United States Patent and Trademark Office

Next step (if your product is unique) is to make a prototype and make sure it does what you intend it to.

If it works, then you apply for a patent, and you get the patent before you talk to anybody about your product.

Once you get the patent you proceed by manufacturing and selling the product. That takes money. If you have very little money you can make your product one at a time and sell it on eBay or Amazon to see how it goes. If it's popular you can keep on manufacturing it yourself or you can borrow money or seek investors.

Back