How can we cancel this contract?

N

ndai29

Jurisdiction
Virginia
"My partner and I signed a Taekwondo contract on 12/31/15, at America's Best Taekwon DO Center, that would be for 24 months. On 2/23/16 I was diagnosed with a hernia and had a doctor's note to not participate in any form of exercise until further notice. We spoke to the Master at the Dojang on 2/24/16 (located in Woodbridge, VA) and he told us to contact the main office, (Amerinational Management Services, located in Orlando, FL) and send in the doctor's note. On the contract it says "affected person can cancel due to substantial disability" and all that was required was to send a letter.

We were told by the main office that there was no fax machine, that they'd have to review it and deem it a permanent injury (says that nowhere on the contract), then they'll send me a medical form, my doctor would have to fill it out and send it back, and that we would have to send it in by mail. This dramatically slowed down the process. I checked to see if they got it several times and even two weeks later they claimed to have never received the letter. Every time we call, it's something different and even the instructor is confused and is giving us the wrong information.

I stopped going to class since 2/5/16 and my partner has stopped going since 4/6/16, we have been paying the full amount since 2/1/16. We have called many lawyers seeking free legal advice or a pro bono lawyer to contact the main office to see if we can come to a mutual agreement, since they won't seem to take me or my partner seriously. At this point it doesn't seem like I will be able to finish taekwOndo or get my black belt. It's just not feasible, I could risk landing myself back in the hospital. I don't want my money back, I just want to cancel the services."

Have you sent the letter and/or other documents by certified or overnight mail?
If not then do so. Then call them as soon as you have delivery confirmation. If it were me, I would state in that letter that I considered the contract cancelled and would no longer be making payments "pursuant to Section nnn Paragrah nnn." If they don't drop the matter at that point, they may turn it over to collections or take you to small claims court. You will probably need to get an attorney at that point.

But I do have a question. You state that you and your partner signed a contract. Did you both sign one contract? So then I'm not sure that your disability will get your partner out of the contract.

On the contract it says "affected person can cancel due to substantial disability" and all that was required was to send a letter.

It would help if you quoted, word for word, the entire provision about cancelling due to a disability.

Meantime, why not just discontinue paying?

The umbrella company in Florida seems to be the one in charge of the contract.
It seems they buy the notes unsuspecting people sign.

Yes, this answers my question about who is who:

AMSonline Terms of Service

More on the infamous AMS:

Hwarang Tigers Taekwondo - Katy, TX

>>>>>>>>
Yes, this unhappy customer reveals all:

Be aware that your contract with Hwarang Tigers is NOT with them, but with Amerinational Management Services (AMS) of Orlando, Florida. Their BBB (Better Business Bureau) rating is "F" (the worst possible in an A-F rating system), with many outstanding complaints against them. It is an organization that exists to collect money for martial arts, like taekwondo parlors. READ the contract, think about it for a week, before signing your name. The focus here is "Money". Once you sign, you cannot escape - just do the month to month and resist the pressure to sign. Think, Read, Research - BEFORE committing. This is not just me, but many other parents have had the same misgivings and experience with Hwarang Tigers as expressed here.
<<<<<<<

For starters, what others have experienced:

Traditional Tae Kwon Do of Carrollwood - Disenrolled child, but we still have to pay, Review 153538 | Complaints Board

Ripoff Report | Karate America Complaint Review Jacksonville, Florida: 533884

Customers: Y.k. Kim Blindsided Us

Have you sent the letter and/or other documents by certified or overnight mail?
If not then do so. Then call them as soon as you have delivery confirmation. If it were me, I would state in that letter that I considered the contract cancelled and would no longer be making payments "pursuant to Section nnn Paragrah nnn." If they don't drop the matter at that point, they may turn it over to collections or take you to small claims court. You will probably need to get an attorney at that point.

But I do have a question. You state that you and your partner signed a contract. Did you both sign one contract? So then I'm not sure that your disability will get your partner out of the contract.

Thank you for the response. I have sent a letter to their president and got that certified. I have also sent in a second medical note and they received that one. Yes I stopped making payments as of today. My partner signed the contract but she is extremely frustrated with the way they operate and we have proof of that.

It would help if you quoted, word for word, the entire provision about cancelling due to a disability.

Meantime, why not just discontinue paying?

The direct language in regards to cancellation states: "This agreement may be canceled as to the affected person for reasons of death or substantial disability by providing a death certificate or disability statement by a certified physician."

Originally I did not consider stopping the payment because of the back of the contract states "In the event of default in the payment of any installment or fee in accordance with the terms above or a breach of any of the covenants herein contained to be performed by the Enrollee, the balance due under this agreement shall immediately due any payable." But as of today, I have discontinued the payment.

The contract also states "The center reserves the right to revoke or terminates any agreement."

Thanks!

The umbrella company in Florida seems to be the one in charge of the contract.
It seems they buy the notes unsuspecting people sign.

Yes, this answers my question about who is who:

AMSonline Terms of Service

More on the infamous AMS:

Hwarang Tigers Taekwondo - Katy, TX

>>>>>>>>
Yes, this unhappy customer reveals all:

Be aware that your contract with Hwarang Tigers is NOT with them, but with Amerinational Management Services (AMS) of Orlando, Florida. Their BBB (Better Business Bureau) rating is "F" (the worst possible in an A-F rating system), with many outstanding complaints against them. It is an organization that exists to collect money for martial arts, like taekwondo parlors. READ the contract, think about it for a week, before signing your name. The focus here is "Money". Once you sign, you cannot escape - just do the month to month and resist the pressure to sign. Think, Read, Research - BEFORE committing. This is not just me, but many other parents have had the same misgivings and experience with Hwarang Tigers as expressed here.
<<<<<<<

For starters, what others have experienced:

Traditional Tae Kwon Do of Carrollwood - Disenrolled child, but we still have to pay, Review 153538 | Complaints Board

Ripoff Report | Karate America Complaint Review Jacksonville, Florida: 533884

Customers: Y.k. Kim Blindsided Us

Thank you for providing this!

Back