Help!

B

Blessed4

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I am located in Lynchburg Virginia. I have a question pertaining to my custody order for summer vacation, the order states a week visitation in June, July and August. Do the courts consider a week being Monday through Monday or Monday through Sunday?

This is what happens when parents dont communicate. Its not up to courts to hold your hands and guide you through things you should handle yourself

I am located in Lynchburg Virginia. I have a question pertaining to my custody order for summer vacation, the order states a week visitation in June, July and August. Do the courts consider a week being Monday through Monday or Monday through Sunday?

I suggest you two discuss a week, and agree to what works best for you, the other person, and the child.

I totally agree, I submitted my requests as court ordered for summer vacation visits by May 1st. July's visit 7/25/2016 - 8/01/2016 and August's visit 8/8/2016 - 8/15/2016 (Monday @ 6:30 pm- Monday @ 6:30 pm).
All of our prior orders for summer vacation visits were ordered the third Sunday @ 6pm - Sunday @ 6pm of the summer months and another order was the second Friday @ 6pm - Friday @ 6pm of the summer months.
Long story short last night my co-parent informed me that my summer requests are for 8 days not 7 days and that they where changing our pick up date (shortening visitation) and to contact their lawyer for anything further.
Not to mention we did Monday - Monday last month June 2016 and Sunday - Sunday in June, July & August 2015.

Grin and bear, don't allow another person to bait you into a silly argument.

Some battles just aren't worth fighting.

When the other person sees you won't act like a jackass, their behavior will change.

Good for you, you're the better, bigger person.

I suggest you two discuss a week, and agree to what works best for you, the other person, and the child.
I would love to but my co-parent doesn't really like to try to work things out between us for the best interest of our child. It more of their way or the highway. Its definitely some serious control problems.

I would love to but my co-parent doesn't really like to try to work things out between us for the best interest of our child. It more of their way or the highway. Its definitely some serious control problems.

Okay, it's your life, mate, it's your call.

I have no interest or dog in your fights.

I'll STFU now.

Good luck.

This is about co parenting and involving courts usually makes both parents unhappy. In my signature line is a link (ParentNook) its a parenting and relationship forum hosted by this site. There you might find other parents who dealt with similar issues. You can ask them how they dealt with these issues as well.

I would expect a week to be 7 days not 8. But regardless if you know the co-parent is going to be difficult and involve lawyers, the one day is not worth squabbling over.

After reading your post again it appears that you are correct Monday 6:30 to the following Monday 6:30 is 7 days. Do as she suggested and call her lawyer. It's her dime.

If you count each 24-hour period from Monday July 25 @6:30 p.m. to Monday August 1 @6:30 p.m., you come up with 7 24-hour periods. If you don't take that into consideration, then Monday - Monday does look like 8 days.

I suspect many people might consider 24-hour periods as opposed to calendar days. I've seen this in action when someone I knew had a visitation order that said they could have the child on Christmas Eve and for 8 hours on Christmas day. They ended up having to return the child the morning of Christmas day because the other parent maintained (and was supported by the legal system) that since Christmas day technically began at midnight they had already gotten their 8 hours visitation for Christmas day from midnight to 8 a.m.

Splitting hairs. This is what happens when parents are more concerned over harming other parent than anything else. Its hard not to do but both parents need to put their issues aside in best interest of child. Involving courts should be last resort!

Splitting hairs is exactly what it is. When my ex and I divorced, I would have been perfectly happy to never have to speak to or see him again, but I understood that I needed to maintain a cordial relationship with him for the sake of the kids. Lately it seems that I've seen more parents who would rather waste all their time and energy on doing things they think will hurt the other parent and giving no consideration to how it affects the kids.

I also don't think a lot of people understand that judges generally don't want to waste their time refereeing every little detail of custody & visitation agreements. I've seen people go back to court pretty much annually over the stupidest little things. Personally, I hate courtrooms and have never particularly enjoyed any time I spent in one, whether it was as a witness, juror, or obtaining my divorce. I can't imagine wanting to hassle my ex enough to drag him back into a courtroom every year!

Most judges hate domestic cases, especially cases involving child custody/visitation/support.

I know I did, and still do.

Most lawyers dislike them, too.

The lawyers that like them, love the money they generate.

Back