Help

Wacko

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I received a letter in the mail from my landlord on 8/4/15; letter dated 8/3/15, that I have to leave by 12 noon August 31, 2015. That's when my lease ends. How many days in advance does he have to tell me this? Lease is to and from 8/31/14 to 8/31/15.

I received a letter in the mail from my landlord on 8/4/15; letter dated 8/3/15, that I have to leave by 12 noon August 31, 2015. That's when my lease ends. How many days in advance does he have to tell me this? Lease is to and from 8/31/14 to 8/31/15.

Presumably you signed the lease no later than 8/31/14, at which time you had a full 365 days notice. Your landlord does not have to send you a reminder to that which you already agreed.

I understand that, but he never offered a NEW lease or gave me the option to renew. So does that still apply? Just a letter for termination of lease.
He's a shitty landlord. I had to call the state on him because he refused to fix the central air unit during the heat wave last week and he got mad. I know he did because he he had temper tantrum like a child screaming at my mother that I called Community Affairs on him. As a tenant, I have that right.
So to me, it's retaliation. If you look him up , he has a long paper trail of fines and violations with the association and cone to find out there's no CCO.
As many years of renting, I never ran across this problem.

Then it's probably best to leave then anyway. Your lease should spell out the terms of notice. He is not obligated to offer a new lease or option to renew, anymore than you are obligated to renew. You had a 12 month lease and it us up.

The notice is likely faulty.
But as someone previously told you, count yourself lucky to be leaving.
He gave you permission in writing to get yourself gone by 31 August.
If I were you, I'd just get sooner, rather than later.

If you're seeking legal redress, you can still play around with that AFTER you've left.

Back