Help please! What are my rights

perkyj_99

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hello, I lived with a lady in a house that was on a piece of property that she did not own. She also owned a business on the property - but she didn't own the building that the property ran out of. She sadly passed away in Jan 2015. When she passed away the property owners and the ladies family gave me permission to continue her business, which is a dog boarding kennel. The property owners recently sold the property and the new owners were under the impression that everything on the property was included in the sale but 90% of the items on the property are mine. They are also telling me to get off of the property. I can't pick up and move my business as it is a building made of concrete and welded metal. I only had an oral agreement with the previous owners. What can I do so that I don't have to immediately close my business. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

You are a tenant at will. The property owner need only give you one month's written notice that your tenancy is terminated, after which he must file for eviction.

Your oral agreements with previous owners or occupants are irrelevant.

As for your own personal property, I hope you have purchase receipts so you can document your ownership. Otherwise you could be in for trouble if you remove any of it.

Meantime, your days are numbered so I suggest you find another place as quickly as possible.

Such are the consequences of going through life without written contracts and proper record keeping.

You are a tenant at will. The property owner need only give you one month's written notice that your tenancy is terminated, after which he must file for eviction.

Your oral agreements with previous owners or occupants are irrelevant.

As for your own personal property, I hope you have purchase receipts so you can document your ownership. Otherwise you could be in for trouble if you remove any of it.

Meantime, your days are numbered so I suggest you find another place as quickly as possible.

Such are the consequences of going through life without written contracts and proper record keeping.

I really appreciate your response *adjusterjack*. Maybe though next time you don't have to kick a person when they're down. I refuse to believe that there are no more honest people left in this world. I may get screwed over because of it but I will not assume that every person I meet is dishonest. I was raised to treat others the way I would like to be treated and that is the way I will be until the day I die - Even if that means that I have to live out of a cardboard box for the rest of my life - at least I lived an honest life.

You can live an honest life and trust everybody. That's your right. But common sense ought to dictate that you take reasonable precautions to protect yourself, just in case.

Trust everybody, but cut the cards.

"Doveryai, no proveryai." (Trust, but verify) – President Ronald Reagan
The quote, "trust, but verify," is actually an old Russian proverb that President Ronald Reagan used during arms control negotiations with Russian President Mikhail Gorbachev in the 1980s. He learned the quote in the Russian language and used the phrase frequently as he and President Gorbachev worked to prevent the promise of mutually assured destruction if the two superpowers failed to get along during that era.
http://flightservicemanagement.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/reagan-300x246.jpg

Back