Harassment at Work

sugrandspice

Jurisdiction
California
I have an issue at work with a coworker and I was hoping to get a little advice. This girl has been harassing me for a few years now. We were friends then literally one day she started acting different to myself and all my co workers. She stopped talking to everyone and started making accusations. One day in a meeting she went kinda psycho and screamed at the boss saying we were all messing with her sister and husband and her family can't take it anymore. None of us even knew she had a sister. Anyhow stuff like this continued and she's been suspended for over a year now. Our boss (who has changed offices) put a restraining order on her.

Now since she's been off she constantly has been texting our bosses random things about random people but mainly about me. She's saying I'm following her around town and harassing her. That my mom is always behind her in drive thrus (my mom lives in another state) and harassing her. She says my husband is harassing her. She says some of the girls at work are hacking into her phone and computer to watch her. I mean it goes on and on.

She's been suspended. It's been over a year now but she keeps coming into the building carrying her big purse. I work for a medical facility and they've told her she needs to go through the Psych program. I don't know if she has or not. She's not supposed to be anywhere inside the building. No one knows why she keeps coming in. You have to have badge access to get in the door. Her badge was temporarily taken from her but I think she grabs the door when someone opens it and comes in. We call security to have her removed every time she comes in. I don't feel protected. She has not been fired meaning she may be able come back to work. I literally feel scared of seeing her at work or outside of work if I should happen to run into her. Should I get a restraining order? Or What? Any advice please.

A restraining order can't stop a bullet or restrain a maniac.

I suggest you avoid her, be alert at all times, and maintain a low profile.

If you think that's not enough, discuss the situation with your HR folks, your supervisor, or the local constabulary.

A restraining order can't stop a bullet or restrain a maniac.

I suggest you avoid her, be alert at all times, and maintain a low profile.

If you think that's not enough, discuss the situation with your HR folks, your supervisor, or the local constabulary.
We have discussed with Supervisor and HR. They have suspended her but she still gets into the building. Thank you for your fast response.

We have discussed with Supervisor and HR. They have suspended her but she still gets into the building. Thank you for your fast response.

Then the local sheriff or police agency might be your next option.

Problem is, if your employer is reluctant to prosecute her, all you can do is be wary at all times.

A few employers ago we had a situation where our receptionist was being stalked by an ex-boyfriend. She had a restraining order out but he was still coming to the office and waiting outside in the street, the requisite number of feet from the door. There were plate glass windows that would allow him to see her, and while we could move her temporarily the nature of her job meant that we couldn't make the move permanent.

So we did some checking and we found there was something resembling a restraining order that the business could get. I don't remember what it was called (this was almost fifteen years ago) and I am not in your state, but your HR might want to look into whether something similar exists in your state. Or cdwjava might know when he gets here.

A few employers ago we had a situation where our receptionist was being stalked by an ex-boyfriend. She had a restraining order out but he was still coming to the office and waiting outside in the street, the requisite number of feet from the door. There were plate glass windows that would allow him to see her, and while we could move her temporarily the nature of her job meant that we couldn't make the move permanent.

So we did some checking and we found there was something resembling a restraining order that the business could get. I don't remember what it was called (this was almost fifteen years ago) and I am not in your state, but your HR might want to look into whether something similar exists in your state. Or cdwjava might know when he gets here.
Thank you!

Back