Burglary, Arson, Home Invasion First Time Shoplifting

Onetime021

I got caught shoplifting at a department store today (under $150) and was brought to a room and signed 2 papers acknowledging that what they found was all I stole and another paper that they said would mean the store would "sue" me. They called the police but they were not able to come within 2 hours so they let me go and told me that in a week I should call the police department and check for a warrant for my arrest. Once I find out there is one then I should go turn myself in.

I'm 19 and live in Texas
My questions are:
1. Is there a chance that I'll be lucky and the warrant will not even appear?
2. If so, will I still be receiving a letter demanding me to pay a certain amount?
3. If I get that letter, should I just pay it since I already confessed to shoplifting by signing those papers?
4. Also, is there a way I can check for the warrant for my arrest?

I got caught shoplifting at a department store today (under $150) and was brought to a room and signed 2 papers acknowledging that what they found was all I stole and another paper that they said would mean the store would "sue" me. They called the police but they were not able to come within 2 hours so they let me go and told me that in a week I should call the police department and check for a warrant for my arrest. Once I find out there is one then I should go turn myself in.

I'm 19 and live in Texas
My questions are:
1. Is there a chance that I'll be lucky and the warrant will not even appear?

If you live in a large, populous county, Dallas, Harris, Bexar, for example; you might get lucky. They have real crimes to deal with in Dallas, San Antonio, Ft. Worth, Houston, etc...

If, however, you live in smaller, less populous counties, rural areas; the odds of receiving the notice of the warrant are higher.

2. If so, will I still be receiving a letter demanding me to pay a certain amount?

Most people report receiving those letters.
Read on for what most lawyers in Texas say about them.

3. If I get that letter, should I just pay it since I already confessed to shoplifting by signing those papers?

You must decide if you pay the tribute demanded in the "demand letter".
I'm a licensed Texas attorney.
The topic of the "demand letters" will often arise at county bar meetings.
I even asked our county law librarian to research if anyone had ever been sued for NOT paying the tribute demanded in the "demand letter" anywhere in Texas.
Not one person has ever been sued for choosing to ignore the letter.
I advise all of my clients affected by those letters to simply ignore them.
I've even committed to defending any client of mine that does get sued.
So far, not one client has ever been sued for ignoring the demand letters.

Here are what several Texas lawyers say about those darn "demand letters":

civil demand for theft payment | Criminal Defense Lawyer | DWI, Drug, Theft & Assault Charges

Shoplifting Cases :: Houston Shoplifting Lawyer Greco Neyland

Common Misconceptions Regarding Theft Charges In The State Of Texas

Shoplifting or a shakedown? Who is the victim here? | Dallas Morning News

Mortified and terrified: I got stopped for shoplifting. What to do? - legal issues bad | Ask MetaFilter

Home Depot, Lord & Taylor, Walmart Hire Law Firms To Harass, Bully Alleged Shoplifters – Consumerist

4. Also, is there a way I can check for the warrant for my arrest?

You can see if your county posts warrants online. If it does, warrants can be found somewhere on your county sheriff's website. If you live in a larger city, warrant information might be found on the police department website.

There are many private data providers that will reveal warrant information, too.
You simply search for those entities using any search engine. They all charge a fee, starting around $25.00 and up.

Back