Expired Car Registration Sticker, can I remedy it?

Jurisdiction
New York
My son called me in a bit of a panic and told me that he received a ticket in Manhattan for having a registration sticker on his car that had expired. While it's his responsibility to make sure it's properly up to date, I do recall the ability to remedy this by having a proper registration sticker on the car and sending proof to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Perhaps I am confusing this with motor vehicle insurance? I'm wondering if any of you had experience with something like this before.

How old is your son?

ETA: Just to save some time and back/forth posting: If your son is not a minor, then I would suggest that you tell him that HE needs to do the research to find out his options. It's a great teaching moment. If you do it for him, he's learning nothing except to call his parental unit when something goes wrong.

My son called me in a bit of a panic and told me that he received a ticket in Manhattan for having a registration sticker on his car that had expired. While it's his responsibility to make sure it's properly up to date, I do recall the ability to remedy this by having a proper registration sticker on the car and sending proof to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Perhaps I am confusing this with motor vehicle insurance? I'm wondering if any of you had experience with something like this before.

I got one of those tickets in the Bronx once. It' wasn't a fix-it ticket.

He can check with the court.

He may have to pay the ticket along with renewing the registration.

Might have to get a current state safety inspection sticker as well. He should check on that.

Back