Ex Wifes family trying to contact my children

J

Jebro

Jurisdiction
Utah
Hello,
I have two daughters ages 13 and 11 that their mother abandoned ten years ago. Since then my current wife has adopted them and loves them like they were hers. My oldest daughter is currently in middle school with my ex's sister's daughters (much to our surprise). The last few weeks this daughter has been trying very hard to get my daughter to contact her (the aunt) by phone or even go to their house. What legal action do I have to notify my ex sister in law that she shall have no contact with my daughter? What repercussions can I utilize to help ensure this doesn't happen?
Thanks ahead of time,
Jebro

Hello,
I have two daughters ages 13 and 11 that their mother abandoned ten years ago. Since then my current wife has adopted them and loves them like they were hers. My oldest daughter is currently in middle school with my ex's sister's daughters (much to our surprise). The last few weeks this daughter has been trying very hard to get my daughter to contact her (the aunt) by phone or even go to their house. I do not want these people in my daughters life and fear for their safety. What legal action do I have to notify my ex sister in law that she shall have no contact with my daughter? What repercussions can I utilize to help ensure this doesn't happen?
Thanks ahead of time,
Jebro

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I have two daughters ages 13 and 11 that their mother abandoned ten years ago. Since then my current wife has adopted them and loves them like they were hers. My oldest daughter is currently in middle school with my ex's sister's daughters (much to our surprise). The last few weeks this daughter has been trying very hard to get my daughter to contact her (the aunt) by phone or even go to their house. I do not want these people in my daughters life and fear for their safety. What legal action do I have to notify my ex sister in law that she shall have no contact with my daughter? What repercussions can I utilize to help ensure this doesn't happen?
Thanks ahead of time,
Jebro

If the children were adopted by your wife, you and she are the lawful parents of the children.

I suggest you ignore these people, because idiots like this want to get you upset.

Eventually, these skittish critters will stop.

If that isn't your cup of tea, you can go to court in your county and seek restraining orders to attempt to make the pests stop.

The court in your area will explain HOW you do it in your county.

Look it up on your county court website.

Ignore the request they have no more legal right to see children than I do. Whatever action (if any) they take next will help you decide what you need to do (if anything) next.

If the children were adopted by your wife, you and she are the lawful parents of the children.

I suggest you ignore these people, because idiots like this want to get you upset.

Eventually, these skittish critters will stop.

If that isn't your cup of tea, you can go to court in your county and seek restraining orders to attempt to make the pests stop.

The court in your area will explain HOW you do it in your county.

Look it up on your county court website.

First THANK YOU so much for the replies. To answer the question I absolutely do not want my daughters involved with these people that she doesn't even know. They have threatened my children, myself and my boss in the past.
Below is a letter I plan on sending in certified mail to at least notify them that we are aware of the situation and also will not stand for it. I basically Googled a Cease and Desist request and tailored it to what we needed. I only want the attempts to contact them to stop nothing more. My main question is am I breaking any laws sending them this? Also any suggestions to enhance this letters request would be greatly appreciated.

This CEASE AND DESIST REQUEST is to initially inform Corey and Nicky XXXXXX residing at XXXX South XXXX West XXXXX, that your attempts to contact Liberty XXXX through a third party or directly is considered Civil Stalking of a minor under Utah law Title 76 Chapter 5 Part 1 Section 106.5.

Such behavior is completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated in any way, shape, or form. This letter is to demand that Corey and Nicky XXXXXX harassment and attempts to contact, and/or have minor contact them CEASE AND DESIST immediately. Should Corey and Nicky XXXXXX continue to pursue these activities in violation of Utah law 76-5-106 of this CEASE AND DESIST REQUEST, We Joshua XXXX and Haley XXXX will not hesitate to pursue legal action against you, including, but not limited to, civil action and/or criminal complaints through the XXXXXX County Judicial System.

Record(s) of contact:

Offense 1- Contacted Liberty through 3rd party minor on school bus more than 2 times. Request for Liberty to come to XXXXXXX residence.

Offense 2- Contacted Liberty through 3rd party minor at XXXXXX Junior High School more than 2 times.

Offense 3- Contacted Liberty through 3rd party minor requesting her to text and make contact with Mrs. XXXXXX on Feb 12, 2016.

This CEASE AND DESIST Request demands that Corey and Nicky XXXXXX immediately discontinue and do not at any point in the future under any circumstances do the following towards Joshua XXXX, Haley XXXX, Liberty XXXX, Faith XXXX: speak to, contact, pursue, harass, attack, strike, bump into, brush up against, push, tap, grab, hold, threaten, telephone (via cellular or landline), instant message, contact via social media, page, fax, email, follow, stalk, shadow, disturb our peace, keep under surveillance, gather information about and/or block my movements at home, work, social gatherings or religious functions.

A copy of this letter and a record of its delivery will be stored. Any future attempts to contact the individuals named in this letter will constitute a violation of this request. Also, this Request will be admissible as evidence in a court of law and will be used as such if need be in the future.

Please note that we have a right to remain free from your contact and intimidating tactics, and we will take the responsibility upon ourselves to protect that right.

This letter has been drafted by Joshua XXXX under council advisement of Jason F. XXXXXXX draftee's Attorney.

Once again THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOU ADVICE!! J.

First THANK YOU so much for the replies. To answer the question I absolutely do not want my daughters involved with these people that she doesn't even know. They have threatened my children, myself and my boss in the past.
Below is a letter I plan on sending in certified mail to at least notify them that we are aware of the situation and also will not stand for it. I basically Googled a Cease and Desist request and tailored it to what we needed. I only want the attempts to contact them to stop nothing more. My main question is am I breaking any laws sending them this? Also any suggestions to enhance this letters request would be greatly appreciated.

This CEASE AND DESIST REQUEST is to initially inform Corey and Nicky XXXXXX residing at XXXX South XXXX West XXXXX, that your attempts to contact Liberty XXXX through a third party or directly is considered Civil Stalking of a minor under Utah law Title 76 Chapter 5 Part 1 Section 106.5.

Such behavior is completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated in any way, shape, or form. This letter is to demand that Corey and Nicky XXXXXX harassment and attempts to contact, and/or have minor contact them CEASE AND DESIST immediately. Should Corey and Nicky XXXXXX continue to pursue these activities in violation of Utah law 76-5-106 of this CEASE AND DESIST REQUEST, We Joshua XXXX and Haley XXXX will not hesitate to pursue legal action against you, including, but not limited to, civil action and/or criminal complaints through the XXXXXX County Judicial System.

Record(s) of contact:

Offense 1- Contacted Liberty through 3rd party minor on school bus more than 2 times. Request for Liberty to come to XXXXXXX residence.

Offense 2- Contacted Liberty through 3rd party minor at XXXXXX Junior High School more than 2 times.

Offense 3- Contacted Liberty through 3rd party minor requesting her to text and make contact with Mrs. XXXXXX on Feb 12, 2016.

This CEASE AND DESIST Request demands that Corey and Nicky XXXXXX immediately discontinue and do not at any point in the future under any circumstances do the following towards Joshua XXXX, Haley XXXX, Liberty XXXX, Faith XXXX: speak to, contact, pursue, harass, attack, strike, bump into, brush up against, push, tap, grab, hold, threaten, telephone (via cellular or landline), instant message, contact via social media, page, fax, email, follow, stalk, shadow, disturb our peace, keep under surveillance, gather information about and/or block my movements at home, work, social gatherings or religious functions.

A copy of this letter and a record of its delivery will be stored. Any future attempts to contact the individuals named in this letter will constitute a violation of this request. Also, this Request will be admissible as evidence in a court of law and will be used as such if need be in the future.

Please note that we have a right to remain free from your contact and intimidating tactics, and we will take the responsibility upon ourselves to protect that right.

This letter has been drafted by Joshua XXXX under council advisement of Jason F. XXXXXXX draftee's Attorney.

Once again THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOU ADVICE!! J.

You won't be breaking any laws in sending the critters a letter.

You would only be STIMULATING the creatures to respond.

If you want the behavior EXTINGUISHED, ignore the beasts.

Talk to your children and make sure they know your position on ignoring these people.

In fact, you might discover the kids have been communicating with these people against your wishes. If that's true, you can work to fix it.

Essentially, I find it easier to ignore trouble, rather than trying to reason with it.

Back