Ex medicating daughter against my wishes and behind my back

Ralbicelli

Jurisdiction
New York
A few months ago my ex brought me to a psychiatrist who he wanted to see my daughter. After one meeting and without really speaking directly to her, the psychiatrist said she probably needs anti-depressants. I immediately voiced my concerns and made it clear that I do not want to medicate her. I refused to return to see this psychiatrist because he was really pushing a dangerous drug without knowing anything about my daughter but what my ex told him and dismissed everything I said.

A couple of months later I found out my ex had made an appointment to take my daughter fur a check up. After mediation it had been decided that I would take care of check ups and we already had an appointment for the following week with the Doctor that she has been seeing for years. I confronted him and he lost it screaming etc, and finally I just said I'd go with them. There I found out he had spoken to that new doctor about medicating my daughter. She said she'd get her in to see their therapist and contact each of us. I had not heard anything.

Last night I found out that my ex took my daughter back to that original psychiatrist whom I had told I was against giving my daughter anti-depressants at this point. He got a prescription and forced her to take it in the morning. All of this was behind my back and knowing I was against it.

My question is. Can I hold the psychiatrist accountable given he knew we are divorced and I was against it and I was not present when he prescribed the meds. And can I stop my ex from continuing to give her this psychotropic drug that is extremely addictive and I truly believe she does not need. She is nowhere near depressed. She is always happy when she is with me.

Can I hold the psychiatrist accountable given he knew we are divorced and I was against it and I was not present when he prescribed the meds.

It appears the child's mother has primary custody, or as we call it in Texas, "managing conservatorship" or "possessory conservatorship" of the child.

Therefore, she doesn't need to consult with you in regards to the medical care for the child.

If you believe the child has been a victim of medical "quackery", you petition the court that issued the custody and make your case before that judge.

And can I stop my ex from continuing to give her this psychotropic drug that is extremely addictive and I truly believe she does not need. She is nowhere near depressed. She is always happy when she is with me.

Again, if you aren't the primary custodian of the child, the primary custodian (as in your former spouse) need not listen to what you think, feel, or believe.

By the way, as a judge myself, unless you have an MD or DO; your argument before me wouldn't be persuasive either! Even if you possessed an MD or DO, there's nothing to indicate the physician who prescribed an FDA approved drug for your child, after a clinical evaluation did anything inappropriate.

If you still believe otherwise, I suggest you take that matter up with the NY state medical licensing board.

Don't start battles you can't win, but if you do, be prepared for the consequences.

It appears the child's mother has primary custody, or as we call it in Texas, "managing conservatorship" or "possessory conservatorship" of the child.

Therefore, she doesn't need to consult with you in regards to the medical care for the child.

If you believe the child has been a victim of medical "quackery", you petition the court that issued the custody and make your case before that judge.

Again, if you aren't the primary custodian of the child, the primary custodian (as in your former spouse) need not listen to what you think, feel, or believe.

By the way, as a judge myself, unless you have an MD or DO; your argument before me wouldn't be persuasive either! Even if you possessed an MD or DO, there's nothing to indicate the physician who prescribed an FDA approved drug for your child, after a clinical evaluation did anything inappropriate.

If you still believe otherwise, I suggest you take that matter up with the NY state medical licensing board.

Don't start battles you can't win, but if you do, be prepared for the consequences.
I believe the OP is the mother and the ex is the father. As with this first line "A few months ago my ex brought me to a psychiatrist who he wanted to see my daughter." No one said who is the custodial or non custodial.

Ditto what Leslie said...in several spots the OP refers to the ex as "he" and "him" so I would assume the OP is the mother. And nowhere is it mentioned who has primary custody.

I also reread it and noticed MEDIATION indicated OP should address medical issues.
I retract my original suggestion, and now simply say, OP you'll have to take your observation back to the mediator or court, if you want the issue addressed.

Who is the primary custodian of the child?
Has a court order been issued?
Were you and the other parent married when the child was born?

Either way, it is not the doctor's job to play referee between the parents. If you feel that strongly that the child should not be medicated, you will need to go back to court and have the custody ordered modified. You will need evidence that what is transpiring is actually harmful and just not against your preferences.

Back