Ex Fiance wants to evict me

Keith77

Jurisdiction
Maryland
My ex is trying to have me evicted. We've been together off and on for seven years and I've been living in her home which we picked out togther, for the past two years. I've been paying half of everything ever since moving in, now she wants to evict me because we had an arguement. I haven't been back to the house except to get some things, but she did keep the check I gave her for that months bills.

We have a court date next month, how can I not have an eviction on my record after this? I haven't be there ever since she said she wanted me out and called the police. I didn't have to leave but chose to leave. What happens to the money I gave her for the month that I did not stay there?

Thanks

Terry

how can I not have an eviction on my record after this?

You can negotiate a settlement, your exit strategy, so to speak.

You're wise to fear the stain of an eviction, but remiss not to consider the mere filing of an eviction.

Such a filing, can also destroy your ability to rent decent housing, and can also ding your FICO.

Talk to a lawyer, retain the lawyer to negotiate a settlement.

Sweeten that settlement with a $1,000, and this might just magically disappear.

Want to avoid an eviction on your record, move out. The relationship is over. Time to find other living arrangements. As for the money you have given toward rent, it is essentially a gift.

We have a court date next month, how can I not have an eviction on my record after this?

Do you still have a key?

Do you still have any of your belongings over there?

If you answer yes to either or both questions then what she is seeking is a Writ of Possession which makes it official that you are out and she can change the locks and dispose of your belongings.

If you answer no to both questions then you have to file a motion asking the court to dismiss the eviction on the grounds that you have already surrendered possession, have no key, have no belongings there and will never go back.

When you file a motion you must provide a copy to the other party. If she doesn't respond to it, the motion may be granted as unopposed and you won't have an eviction on your record.

If she does respond and asks that the motion be denied then you'll have to attend the court date and, again, ask that the eviction be dismissed on the same grounds.

What happens after that is anybody's guess.

Back