Ex boyfriend trying to get visitation of child that is not his

Mommabear20

My ex boyfriend is trying to get legal visitation of my child. She is not his and her real father is on her birth certificate and pays child support. My ex hasn't seen her in over 6 months. He doesn't want to pay anything for her and doesn't treat her good when she did see him. Does he have a case? Thanks!

If he isn't the bio Father, there is no way a court is going to grant legal visitation.

For one, child support and visitation are two separate actions. One does not pay support in order to be allowed to see a child.

Why is he seeking visitation? If you claim he does not treat her well, then she clearly has seen him. Was this a very long term relationship in which he served as a surrogate father? Does the child have any interest in maintaining a relationship with him?

Like I said in my post.. The last time she saw him was over 6 months ago. We were together for about 4 years and my daughter was 1 at the time when we started dating. We were never married. My child does not want to see him.

Her biological father is not in the picture but he does pay child support and he is on her birth certificate.

My ex boyfriend and I do have a son together and I won custody of him a few months ago. My ex is wanting to have my daughter go over there the two weekends a month that he has our son. As I said my daughter does not want to go over there and has told me some stories which lead me to believe he is not a positive figure in her life.

I'm just trying to find out if anyone has heard of anything like this and if he has a leg to stand on.

Like I said in my post.. The last time she saw him was over 6 months ago. We were together for about 4 years and my daughter was 1 at the time when we started dating. We were never married. My child does not want to see him.

Her biological father is not in the picture but he does pay child support and he is on her birth certificate.

My ex boyfriend and I do have a son together and I won custody of him a few months ago. My ex is wanting to have my daughter go over there the two weekends a month that he has our son. As I said my daughter does not want to go over there and has told me some stories which lead me to believe he is not a positive figure in her life.

I'm just trying to find out if anyone has heard of anything like this and if he has a leg to stand on.

I would only obey lawful court orders.
If he asks you about your daughter, you need not respond.
I don't see a court ordering your daughter by another man to visit a former stepfather, who has now become a legal stranger.

Visitation isn't taking away any right of yours. If there is a sibling involved, it could be and often is beneficial for them to be treated the same. This guy was essentially her father for as long as she remembers. She is only 5 or 6 now if you were together 4 years and she was 1 when you got together, and that is far from old enough to be able to call the shots on visitation. This guy did raise her for 4 years and is the father of her brother. If you have significant concerns about the children's safety and well being, by all means file for a modification of visitation for your son's sake. If this is just a matter of you not wanting to cooperate with an ex, you might reconsider voluntarily allowing her to visit with her brother on occasion. I know many families with a stepchild who spends time with a half sibling and the half sibling's parent to support the sibling bond. It may not be ordered if this guy is not the biological father but you might want to consider it.

Back