Drive cam in some company vehicles but not others: is this unfair labor practice?

R

Robster

Jurisdiction
Georgia
The company that I work for uses drive cam in their vehicles. The problem is that the older vehicles which were inherited from the previous company are equipped with the drive camera system, but the vehicles that have been acquired since new ownership, have not. We have vehicles in our local fleet which we have had as long as three years that still do not have the drive cam. It does not seem fair for drivers with vehicles equipped with the drive cams to be held accountable and possibly lose work time with no pay for certain offenses caught on the drive cam while other drivers who do the exact same job are not held accountable in the same manner because their trucks are not equipped with the drive cam. Local management has explained to me that drive cams for all unequipped vehicles are technically in the works, however, it is waiting on budgeting since the systems are so expensive. I would think that three years without a drive cam is long enough to preclude any excuse about budgeting. To be fair, it seems that the company would suspend the drive cam program until such time as they are able to budget the drive cams for all vehicles. Does anyone know if this situation violates fair labor practices or any other employee rights?

Does anyone know if this situation violates fair labor practices or any other employee rights?

No, the law has no concern with fairness, just legality.

The company could post a supervisor to ride with you daily as you go about your appointed rounds.

You're hired to do lawful work.

If the work environment isn't to your liking, you're free to obtain employment elsewhere, or organize your own company.

Just as all trucks need not be air conditioned, or painted the same color, all need not contain the same equipment.

This might not seem fair to you but unfair does not always equal illegal. There is not anything illegal being done here. Sorry.

It does not seem fair for drivers with vehicles equipped with the drive cams to be held accountable and possibly lose work time with no pay for certain offenses caught on the drive cam while

Simple solution.

If you have a drive cam you your vehicle, don't commit any of the offenses for which you lose pay.

Back