Do i have legal standing

SamR1993

Jurisdiction
Nebraska
My nephew is 1yr old, I greatly worry about his well being... His father does drugs, we don't know exactly which ones but it's known.. We just found out that his mother(my sister) is also doing drugs, weed, cocaine, acid, as well as selling her bipolar meds... There was a big blow up last night over my parents wanting her to drug test at the hospital, police got involved and they will not force her cuz she's 19...
What I want to know is if my parents or I have any legal rights to getting him from my sister, there was a moment of abuse during her blow up... I do not feel it is in my nephew's best interest to stay with my sister...

If you feel the child is being neglected or abused, your only recourse is to contact the proper authorities in your state (CPS/DFACS/DHR/DHS).

Neither you nor your parents have any sort of standing to file for custody.

Sorry, no, you/your parents cannot just go & take the child. If the child is being abused or neglected, contact Child Protective Services (or whatever the agcy. is called in your state). You can let the police know of any drug use.

Back