Do I Have A Case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydknyght

I was terminated after 7 years because an employee told the Human Resource department that I threatened him physical harm (not true), but I was told by my former employer that I basically could not take any opportunity to defend myself.
Like most companies we have a progressive termination plan and I did not get the benefit of it. I want to file a suit, but am unsure if my employer needs to verify this criminal threat or not before my termination; and if so what rights if any do I have to dispute the claim. Lastly, should I just sue the employee to force the truth or both.

Very simply, no and no.

This is not a wrongful termination, and your employer was not obliged to confirm a threat in order to terminate your employment.

The only exception to this I can see is if you are actually part of a union or other CBA. Is that the case?

Ok, but since he alleged a criminal act was commited by me, would I not be able to sue him and force him to supply proof that what he said was true. And if I file a civil case against him wouldn't all I need to do is prove that he said it?

Ok, but since he alleged a criminal act was commited by me, would I not be able to sue him and force him to supply proof that what he said was true.

No.

And if I file a civil case against him wouldn't all I need to do is prove that he said it?

You don't HAVE a case.

The only person you'd be able to sue, is the accuser as Jacksgal indicated. And then, you'd be looking at several years and around $50k+ in order to litigate a defamation action.

Even if you won, it's extremely unlikely that you'd be able to collect so you'd be out all of that money and nothing would change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back