Do I Have A Case?

Discussion in 'Termination: Firing & Resignation' started by mydknyght, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mydknyght

mydknyght Law Topic Starter New Member

I was terminated after 7 years because an employee told the Human Resource department that I threatened him physical harm (not true), but I was told by my former employer that I basically could not take any opportunity to defend myself.
    Like most companies we have a progressive termination plan and I did not get the benefit of it. I want to file a suit, but am unsure if my employer needs to verify this criminal threat or not before my termination; and if so what rights if any do I have to dispute the claim. Lastly, should I just sue the employee to force the truth or both.

2. Proserpina

Proserpina Moderator

Very simply, no and no.

This is not a wrongful termination, and your employer was not obliged to confirm a threat in order to terminate your employment.

The only exception to this I can see is if you are actually part of a union or other CBA. Is that the case?

3. mydknyght

mydknyght Law Topic Starter New Member

Ok, but since he alleged a criminal act was commited by me, would I not be able to sue him and force him to supply proof that what he said was true. And if I file a civil case against him wouldn't all I need to do is prove that he said it?

4. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

Why not sue the accuser?

5. Proserpina

Proserpina Moderator

No.

You don't HAVE a case.

The only person you'd be able to sue, is the accuser as Jacksgal indicated. And then, you'd be looking at several years and around $50k+ in order to litigate a defamation action.

Even if you won, it's extremely unlikely that you'd be able to collect so you'd be out all of that money and nothing would change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.