DNA

G

gntlhyena

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Is there a statute of limitations for asking for a DNA test of a possible sibling when the parent has been dead 20+ years?

There is no statute of limitations on "asking."

However, whether you can compel it depends on all the details that you have avoiding putting in your post although I can't think of any that would obligate anybody to take a DNA test.

What is it that you want to accomplish?

However, whether you can compel it depends on all the details that you have avoiding putting in your post although I can't think of any that would obligate anybody to take a DNA test.

Being harassed by phone call, caller saying my dead father is his father from an affair with his mother. also deceased. I do not want to be forced into a sibling DNA test.

Being harassed by phone call, caller saying my dead father is his father from an affair with his mother. also deceased. I do not want to be forced into a sibling DNA test.

There's no legal way you can be ordered to take a DNA test.

There are situations where a court could compel you take such a test, but NONE of those special cases apply for you.

Going forward, block the person's calls, emails, and/or texts.

Stop communicating with the person, you're entirely within your rights to retain your privacy.

You need not explain your reasons, just keep that to yourself, if that's your wish.

The statute of limitations for contesting a will is 3 years so I'm guessing that the statute of limitations for claiming an inheritance (and compelling DNA) is likely to also be 3 years, certainly not 20.

I agree with Army Judge that you are free to tell this guy to pound sand, block his calls, and ignore him.

Back