Other Debt debt collectors

D

dedelson

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I have a collector call about garnishing my wages for a debt in Illinois. But I work in and live in Wisconsin so which state garnishment law do they have to use

I have a collector call about garnishing my wages for a debt in Illinois. But I work in and live in Wisconsin so which state garnishment law do they have to use

It's never in your best interest to communicate in any way with a debt collector scavenger.

If you have had, or are having financial issues a debt collector is your enemy. Don't communicate with your enemy.

Before wages can be levied against, a judgment must have been issued.

If you live and work in WI, the wage levy laws and judgment enforcement laws of WI would apply to you.

If the scavenger had a judgment, it would be working with your employer.

Stop communicating with the beast.

Wisconsin Wage Garnishment Law | Nolo.com

When did you default on the debt? What kind of debt? Were you sued by a creditor? Did the creditor get a judgment against you? If so, when?

They might just be trying to scare you into paying on the debt by saying your wages will be garnished. Possibly the SOL has elapsed. Anyway; before they can garnish wages, they have to go to court & get a judgment against you.

We don't really have enough info here to give you a better/more complete answer.

Back