dealership screwed up now no financing

jradscott

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
My husband and I purchased a vehicle on 7/22/2015. I traded in a 2012 Mazda 3 and we purchased a 2013 Honda Pilot. We signed all the paperwork and gave a 500.00 down payment. While there we discussed if we could transfer the tag off of my Mazda since it was in only 1 of our names and the new one is in both or off a vehicle we had at home that we were also selling. The finance guy said he did not know to just let him know and he would do either one/ We then left. A few days later the bank calls to verify everything and also stated the GAP contract was incorrect. They had charged us too much so it would have to be resigned. I told her that we were 2.5 hrs from dealership it is near Charlotte NC and we are in SC. She said not a problem they could mail to us. She told me to call the dealer and arrange for them to mail. I called and spoke with Paul and he told me no problem to mail and also updated him on the tag info that I wanted them to transfer the tag we had at home on the other vehicle. He had me fax the registration of the one we wanted to transfer. So.....waited and waited called back several times and was only put through to voicemail and as of today the loan has still not been financed. I did speak with Jeff and Jessica on 8/21 becuase I still had not heard anything or gotten anything to sign and no sign of new registration. Jeff stated he did not know who dropped the ball but would take care of it. While on the phone I realized he was the same guy that messed up the original paperwork. So I ended up getting very frustrated with him and hung up. I called back and spoke with Jessica and she infomed me they would overnight the paperowrk that I needed to sign and she assured me that she would have a manager contact me. After that I called the original bank back and asked where the deal was on there end and was informed they had sent everything back to the dealership because they were no longer able to hold any longer and the dealer refused to get the corrected paperwork they had asked for. I called back on 8/28/15 and left messages for Jessica and Sandy. Today I called back again and left another message for Jessica and finally recieved a return call. She transferred me to Sandy and she told me she was going to send the paperwork out today. I told her everything I have been dealing with and explained no tag and that I also checked on my trade and they have sent a partial payoff but still owes approx 750.00 on the trade. She told me that Jeff messed up the paperwork and he was no longer there and she did not know what had happened and apologized. As of today I still have not gotten the paperwork. I still do not have a tag. Im riding on an expired paper tag. I want to know what I am legally required to do going forward.
On top of everything I have sat down and went through our paperwork with a fine tooth comb and found that we were lied to about several things. EX extended warranty is added into veh price alredy we dont charge you--yes they did...taxes on service contract almost 200.00 and the doc prep fee 799.00 etc etc... We were at the dealership about 8 hours total. We were excuse after excuse---finalizing terms, need to get paperwork completed , then had to do final paperwork with finance guy that has now disappeared, we got there at 2 and did not leave until 9. We basically listed to the finance guy tell us what we were signing and did not read it like we should have. And now that I have know that he took us for everything we had.
At this point we don't even know that we want to keep the vehicle I mean they clearly do not care about us as a customer so why should we do business with them. They have really screwed up and I don't think any of this is our fault. I am having to deal with all of there mistakes. Do I have to sign another contract?

Never sign anything unless you've read it and understand it.
Never just accept someone's representations as to what the document says, read it, understand it, or don't sign it.
Never be bullied into signing anything.
If something appears too complicated, just walk away.

No, you don't have to sign a new contract.
If you choose that option, you must return the car.
Now, here's the rub.
When you refuse to resign, you must return the car, and you'll be gouged again.
Why?
The contract you have signed has a clause about how much you owe them for using their car!!!!

You can't fix this by proxy.
If this can be fixed, you'll need an attorney.
I suggest you talk to three or four local lawyers and see if there's a legal way out for you folks.

It's generally problematic and complicated when you buy a car in a state where you don't have a residence.

The perceived cost savings evaporates quickly when the hidden, unknown, obscure costs and fees begin to appear.

By the way, this isn't by accident, it's the way it's designed to keep the little people in check. The wealthy don't encounter these issues, just the little people.

They have no way to force you to sign anything. But as mentioned you do have to return the car, they may have sold your trade and they may or may not return your $500.00. You need to make an appointment to meet with the sales manager or general manager. Tell them you are bringing their vehicle back and you will expect either your trade or the cash value/less what they paid off and your $500.00. They know they screwed up and if they can't get financing they may be as willing as you to walk away from the deal. You have been driving their car so they may deduct for the use.

Back