damages statement wording

donnad3

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I am preparing a damages statement and would like to know if I need to put any state specific wording in it. Also i am looking to see how much time I need to give them to pay the balance in full and do I need to mention that it will be filed with the magistrate if not paid?

I am preparing a damages statement and would like to know if I need to put any state specific wording in it. Also i am looking to see how much time I need to give them to pay the balance in full and do I need to mention that it will be filed with the magistrate if not paid?

The PA Landlord Tenant Act requires that interest be paid on security deposits held over two years.

After taking out damages and unpaid rent, a landlord or property owner must send its tenants the list of damages and/or the full or partial security deposit no later than 30 days after the lease ends or when the landlord accepts the tenants keys to vacate the premises early, whichever occurs first.

The law requires landlords to pay twice the amount of the security deposit if they fail to provide consumers with the list of damages along with any refund due.

Most landlords send the tenant a "move out" letter upon learning the tenant is vacating the unit.

Move-Out Letter

This is an example of an "itemization of damages/repairs" letter sent to tenants:

Security Deposit Itemization Form

General information on landlord-tenant laws in PA:

Pennsylvania Landlord's Guide to Security Deposit Disputes in Justice Court | Nolo.com

Back