custody

T

teesha

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I was just wondering if theres anything I could do to get custody of my niece. My sister who is 19 years old had a baby girl who is now 5 months old but the entire time she was pregnant and after she was just out of control acting like a 16 year old thinking she can still do anything with anyone when and however she wants and drags this innocent little baby around with her. Shes moved from Colorado to Utah to Texas and back to Colorado multiple times with people she calls friends yet she hasn't known them that long. where she was staying in Texas, they had bed bugs and shes had to take the baby to the ER because we now know she is highly allergic to them and she had swelled up really bad. Not only did they have bed bugs but they didn't have a bed or anything to sleep on so therefore they were both sleeping on the ground. I had called Cps to ask questions and they basically told me that if the baby is getting her basic needs met meaning fed, bathed, and clothed that there is nothing that they will do, only if she is either being abused or neglected. Well now my sister and the baby are back in Colorado for who knows how long and she was able to stay with one of her friends step mom. She apparently has decided she doesn't want that and has been staying with her ex/now boyfriend who is basically homeless and staying with his friend, just quit his job and where theyre staying is inside of a overly cram packed garage. she receives wic so that baby is getting the formula and baby food but she isn't in a stable place and still is very young and immature, and her actions prove it. my grandmother and I have offered to take care of the baby while she tries to get her life together but she refuses and I believe its because she has basically burnt all the bridges she has and knows that no one is going to let her either be homeless or hungry with a baby. I am very concerned because theyre not stable and I strongly believe that stability is an essential thing for a baby/child. My boyfriend and I are expecting our first baby anytime now and we both work full time jobs and when I come back to work my grandmother offered to watch my daughter because daycare is way to expensive. We have our own apartment with an extra bedroom with tons of baby stuff so she would be taken care of. Ive contemplated on what to do, fight for custody if at all possible or anything to where I can possibly get my niece. She deserves to be in a stable environment and not have to be dragged around everywhere because her mother cant get her life together. I don't know what to do or where to begin.

Custody isn't obtained like title to a car.
Children aren't property.
If you believe any chid is being neglected, abused, molested, uneducated, or harmed in any way; you report the matter to your police, or child services agency.

You are free to inform child services that you'd be willing to be a temporary guardian until the authorities can determine what is best for the child.

If the child is taken away, the father would be first in line to seek custody, followed by grandparents, then other relatives.

Ask child services how you might best proceed.

Back