Custody of my niece who is under other family custody

A

Al Mellen

Jurisdiction
Indiana
My niece was born to my sister who at the time of her birth was found to have been on drugs (heroin) in which effected her daughter leaving her under care of the hospital. A few weeks after she was released from the hospital to my sister, (who is staying with her boyfriends mother/ the boyfriend also being a drug addict) child services came to take custody of the baby. The baby was released to the boyfriends family members who knowingly knew of the drug use of my sister and her boyfriend while the two lived within their home during the pregnancy. Both the mother and father of my niece have attended rehab in hopes of having their daughter back in the future. We have family who want to care for the baby. The boyfriends family whom are caring for the child have broke all contact from our side and refuses to respond to any of my sisters family who want to care for the child. I have heard that the women who's care my niece is under wants nothing to do with the baby. Currently I live abroad. I will be back in the country permanently in four months and I would love to take after my niece. What can I do to take my niece under my care until her parents are fully functional to care for their own child?

Family services will have to be involved in any kind of change in this child's life at this point. The parents may actually have custody back before your return from out of the country, if they work the plan given to them by Family Services.

Back