Custody of child's sibling

A

avidreader107

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I have adopted my cousin's two children, now 4 and 9 yrs old. They were each removed from her care at birth as they were each born testing positive for heroin and other illegal substances. She recently told me she is expecting again. She claims to be clean, I dont believe her as she has been seen going in and out of her supplier's home.

She also has a 19 yr old daughter living with her with no history of drug use or any legal issues. The 19 yr old states she is going to help her mother raise this child. I am not aware of either of them having a job or income of any sort. Not sure who the father is so that is an unknown variable at this point.

I would be willing to take this child so it could be raised with its siblings, however I am not sure I would be approved to take it as I have 5 children at home and my husband passed away just under a year ago. I do have a steady income, savings and my home is paid off.

My first question is, if this child is indeed born testing positive is there a chance that the 19 yr old will be given custody. Secondly, would being a single parent be reason for the courts to refuse me custody of the child?

You want to help others, admirable. I suggest you focus on the children you're helping. It must be a huge burden. You're doing all the good works a human being can master already. Let that baby popper handle her latest little blessing. If you don't stop helping, it'll destroy what good you're already doing.

Back