Completed my assessment and they say I have to retake because company out of business

Julie Wagner

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
My landlord unfortunately received a DUI in Gaston County NC and has completed every part of the requirements to get his License. The company he did his assessment with gave him and Raleigh the run around for two solid months saying they sent the completed electronic form 508 to the DMV (saying he completed his classes 68 hours). After being at the assessment place this past Thursday and they appear to be closed down as of today with phone number disconnected. denied to give me a copy (with permission from Han, he was there,) and now they have a notice on there door about power being cut off and there phone number no longer working.
We went to the Sheriff's office, Court House and Motor Vehicle all saying he must redo the assessment classes which could cost him about $6800 again to retake the classes. Even his lawyer says there is nothing he can do but retake the classes. Please advise cause this just doesn't seem right and is vietnamese origin making it harder for him to understand.

Even his lawyer says there is nothing he can do but retake the classes. Please advise cause this just doesn't seem right and is vietnamese origin making it harder for him to understand.

Your friend could sue the provider in small claims court.

In the matter under discussion, he could sue, but it won't help.

Why?

It would appear the provider is out of business, perhaps having filed a bankruptcy (or will file imminently a bankruptcy).

Bottom line, the money he paid to the vendor isn't there anymore.

Even his lawyer says there is nothing he can do but retake the classes.

His lawyer offers a reasonable solution that will help him achieve his desired result, closing out his DUI case and return his life to some semblance of normalcy.

Yes, paying again to another vendor sucks, but not as bad as not having a valid driver's license.

By the way, he should steel himself for the exorbitant rates he'll soon be paying for automobile insurance.

Back