collecting child support from another state?!

jacekj

Jurisdiction
Florida
My child and I live in Florida & her father lives in Texas. My daughter is 15 years old, her father left when she was 6 months. I have had a child support order since she was 3 He has only paid roughly $800 and that was taken from one of his income tax returns. The child support enforcement agency has his full name, ss#, and address. I don't understand why nothing much has been done, I call the FL child support enforcement office every now and then but that's not helping, they just tell me that they have notified the state of Texas and they have to wait 30-60 more days till they can send another request again for enforcement. Would hiring a lawyer help at all?

My child and I live in Florida & her father lives in Texas. My daughter is 15 years old, her father left when she was 6 months. I have had a child support order since she was 3 He has only paid roughly $800 and that was taken from one of his income tax returns. The child support enforcement agency has his full name, ss#, and address. I don't understand why nothing much has been done, I call the FL child support enforcement office every now and then but that's not helping, they just tell me that they have notified the state of Texas and they have to wait 30-60 more days till they can send another request again for enforcement. Would hiring a lawyer help at all?

You are free to hire a lawyer, but most people hire a good child support collections agency. You can search for three or four, investigate them, then engage one to get your money. If he's working underground, or not working, you may never collect a dime. A good collections agency can advise you further.

You really shouldn't have to hire a lawyer since you have the support order, child enforcement should be able to help you get a wage garnishment. In Texas, employer's are required to report all newly hired employees to the Attorney General's office so they can enforce orders. However as stated if he is working "underground" or as an independent contractor with no reportable wages then it becomes a different situation that would require a lawyer and perhaps an investigator.
If you only recently located him in Texas then you might wait a bit longer and keep following up with your local agency.

Back