City utility charges

Wayne Barnhart

Jurisdiction
Texas
So for the last 16 years I was away working in the oilfield . I own my property and home outright. I'm now happily divorced and handling my own business. I just found out I have been paying city sewer and gas all these years and they do not exist where I live. I am on the outskirts of the city considered rural pasture land but have access to city water which terminates about 250 yards past my property but that is it . No sewer no gas just water yet I've been charged for years for nonexistent utilities. We are not annexed either. How is this not theft and what legal leg do I have to get my money back?

You start by writing the city and protesting the payments. You might get some of it back that way. After that, you're going to have to pursue a civil case. Frankly, at the absolute best, you're only going to get a few years back.

How is this not theft and what legal leg do I have to get my money back?

It's not theft. That you didn't catch it for 16 years is on you.

Start with a phone call to the utility company. It might be that all utilities are bundled into one bill and everybody pays whether they use it or not. Or, you might get a credit for some of the current year but you can probably forget about 16 years worth.

I just found out I have been paying city sewer and gas all these years

How did you "just find out" that you have been paying these things for 16 years? Were you writing checks in your sleep? That's facetious, of course, but I hope you get my point.

How is this not theft

Come on....

what legal leg do I have to get my money back?

You're certainly not getting 16 years of voluntary payments refunded. Your first priority should be to get billing stopped on a going forward basis, and you'll obviously need to communicate with the agency that's been billing you. While you're discussing that, you can ask about whether any of your prior voluntary payments can be refunded. When you're told that the answer is no, you can make a decision to hire an attorney and sue or just let it go.

Back