Child custody

Amber dodd

Jurisdiction
West Virginia
My baby's father and I just recently split up. Who gets full custody if I'm the one who is the provider. I do not trust him with our child he has shaking the baby and when feeding him he let him choke twice and has picked him up by his neck. I'm scared that since his parents have money they will take him from me. I have been the care taker from day one. I asked for formula once and he said he was shutting his phone off. My baby's daddy has been controlling me since the beginning of the pregnancy well he has tried. That's why there have been many occasions where I've had to call the cops and my parents to come get me. What can I do to prevent him from taking our son?

You dont its very likely there will be joint custody and/or he will be granted visitation. Have you documented any of this abuse? If so you might get supervised visitation for him for a bit

My baby's father and I just recently split up. Who gets full custody if I'm the one who is the provider. I do not trust him with our child he has shaking the baby and when feeding him he let him choke twice and has picked him up by his neck. I'm scared that since his parents have money they will take him from me. I have been the care taker from day one. I asked for formula once and he said he was shutting his phone off. My baby's daddy has been controlling me since the beginning of the pregnancy well he has tried. That's why there have been many occasions where I've had to call the cops and my parents to come get me. What can I do to prevent him from taking our son?

If you and the father weren't married, YOU as the mother have sole and complete custody.
You don't even have to allow the father to see the child, much less take the child to his home for overnight, or weekend visits.

The father must go to court to seek visitation (and/or shared custody) after establishing paternity.

If I were you, I'd play everything by the book.

Back