Car dealership took car back

Jurisdiction
Florida
I recently leased a car from a car lot. I signed all the documents and gave them all the information needed and made my $400 down payment. However a few days later the car dealer called and said to come in because I needed to finish signing some papers. I asked how long it would take because I had to get to work afterwards and the lady said "15 mins" after I arrived I told her the brakes on my car were bad and she said she would test drive it. I also informed her a vehicle backed into my car a few days before so there were damages done but I had the persons insurance. After she test drove my car she never gave me my keys and informed me my deal didn't go through with the finance company. Her intentions were to take my car regardless of the damages. She told me I couldn't take my car because of the damages as well as because I was never approved by the finance company. I told her the insurance will handle the damages and that it has nothing to do with them. One of the dealers also informed me that when people call to interview me about my car to say that I put down $1700 although I only get paid $1800 a month and only put down $400 which most likely was the reason it didn't go through. I never received the papers I signed and when asked for a copy she refused. She said it had nothing to do with her and she wasn't sure where they were bc she didn't make the deal. (Lie) I never ended up signing any papers for another finance company, or getting my money back, or having a car. What should I do?

Not much you can do, except grin and bear it.
If you weren't approved for financing, the terms of which were buried among the reams of paper called the deal allow the dealer to repossess their car.

Also, it was never YOUR car.

What to do? Improve your situation so you can afford a vehicle, or buy something cheaper that fits your budget.

So if it was never my car then I'm not responsible for the damages and can get my money refunded from the down payment?
With a down payment of 400.00 and only having the car for 4 days, you should expect to get something back out of the 400.00. The dealership might expect to get something because you was able to use their car for the 4 days, but not the entire deposit you put down.

So if it was never my car then I'm not responsible for the damages and can get my money refunded from the down payment?

You can ask to have your deposit returned.
I doubt the dealer will comply.
You only put down $400, commenced using the car for a "few days", the car got damaged, and you couldn't be financed.

You're free to sue the dealer in small claims court.
Don't expect a miracle.
Good luck.

I had the car for two weeks, if the registration and insurance is in my name how isn't the vehicle mines?

How, or why?

The vehicle was never titled in your name.
Registration has nothing to do with ownership of a vehicle.
A title, on the other hand establishes vehicle ownership.

So if the vehicle was never mines I'm entitled to get my down payment back whether damages were done or not?

Legally, no.
The money was tendered as a down payment.
You weren't financed.
Read the paperwork.
The down payment was probably retained to cover what became a rental.

I suggest you ask the dealer by writing a letter, sending it via registered mail with proof of delivery.

I bet the dealer says no, or ignores you.

You'll have to sue the dealer in small claims if you just must pursue that $400.

That'll be a losing effort, too.

If I were you, I'd let this go.

I agree that you can ask. Considering you drove the car for two weeks and returned it with damage, it's very unlikely you will get anything back. But it never hurts to ask.

Yeah I wouldn't sue for $400 but I was thinking they could just find another company that will finance my vehicle
since they're refusing to give me a copy of my contract so I can see if it says anything about making me bring my car back if financing doesn't go through. I just need transportation. & what if the contract says $1700 as a down payment which is why they won't issue me a copy?

I went by there yesterday to try to redeem a copy of the contract I signed and he said he threw it out. But he also was telling my mom if we pay $200 more then that might work out but i no longer want to do business with them. If there's no contract why should my insurance have to pay for the car when it's like I never had it. He threw them out before I could see because they lied about my down payment causing me to not be financed. But I'm just going to try to find a car elsewhere.

Back