Car a Total Loss ?

talerco

Jurisdiction
Colorado
Accident seemed rather minor but dealer saying $16,000 to fix. Body and Wheel alignment damaged.
Saying they will total car and give $13,000.
Travelers Insurance.
Mechanic friend says not that much damage and can fix for much less - if we buy the car from insurance.
Two questions;
1. Car had expensive upgraded sound system and new snow tires. We think it will take more than $13,000 to duplicate. What is the procedure (if any) to request more than they are offering?
2. Any way to not have salvage title on the repaired car?
Thanks!

Is Travelers your insurance company or another driver's insurance company?

Car had expensive upgraded sound system and new snow tires. We think it will take more than $13,000 to duplicate.

Everybody says that. Everybody thinks their car is worth more than it is. It isn't.

Feel free to post the Actual Cash Value valuation report from the insurance company and I'll be happy to comment on it.

What is the procedure (if any) to request more than they are offering?

If Travelers is your insurance company you can invoke the appraisal provision of your policy. Looks something like this:

APPRAISAL
A.
If we and you do not agree on the amount of loss, either may demand an appraisal of the loss. In this event, each party will select a competent and impartial appraiser. The two appraisers will select an umpire. The appraisers will state separately the actual cash value and the amount of loss. If they fail to agree, they will submit their differences to the umpire. A decision agreed to by any two will be binding. Each party will:
1. Pay its chosen appraiser; and
2. Bear the expenses of the appraisal and umpire equally.
B. We do not waive any of our rights under this policy by agreeing to an appraisal.

If Travelers is another driver's insurance company you sue the other driver and prove, with evidence, not just sayso, that your car is worth more.

2. Any way to not have salvage title on the repaired car?

Sure. Have the car towed from the dealer to your mechanic friend, have your mechanic friend repair the car, pay your mechanic friend for the repairs, send the receipt to the insurance company for reimbursement.

Accident seemed rather minor

Single-car accident? Multi-car accident? Has liability been determined?

dealer saying $16,000 to fix. Body and Wheel alignment damaged.

This is your car? One of the other cars involved?

Saying they will total car and give $13,000.

Who are "they"?

Travelers Insurance.

Is this your insurer or someone else's?

Car had expensive upgraded sound system and new snow tires. We think it will take more than $13,000 to duplicate.

Who are "we"?

What is the procedure (if any) to request more than they are offering?

Pick up the phone and call the person who conveyed the offer. Say, " Hi, I believe that $X would be more appropriate than $13,000 because _____."

Everybody says that. Everybody thinks their car is worth more than it is. It isn't.

Feel free to post the Actual Cash Value valuation report from the insurance company and I'll be happy to comment on it.

If Travelers is your insurance company you can invoke the appraisal provision of your policy. Looks something like this:

APPRAISAL
A.
If we and you do not agree on the amount of loss, either may demand an appraisal of the loss. In this event, each party will select a competent and impartial appraiser. The two appraisers will select an umpire. The appraisers will state separately the actual cash value and the amount of loss. If they fail to agree, they will submit their differences to the umpire. A decision agreed to by any two will be binding. Each party will:
B. We do not waive any of our rights under this policy by agreeing to an appraisal.

If Travelers is another driver's insurance company you sue the other driver and prove, with evidence, not just sayso, that your car is worth more.

Sure. Have the car towed from the dealer to your mechanic friend, have your mechanic friend repair the car, pay your mechanic friend for the repairs, send the receipt to the insurance company for reimbursement.
Thanks f

APPRAISAL
A.

Thanks for info. Will post ACV report when received.
Travelers is our insurance.
'My' car.
Multi car. We (daughter, 17) were deemed at fault - another story we are trying to move on from.
'They' is dealer where car is sitting.
'We' is me. Father. Bill payer.

Good. I'll watch for it.
See attached. Only page 1 of 18IMG_0556.jpeg because each page has our info and I didn't see anything that I'd contest.
They said we could submit other comps but they needed to be local. There are none of these for sale within 500 miles. We submitted a few distant but it looks like they are sticking with this.
If I'm being honest instead of greedy (which I sometimes find difficult) this is probably not out of line.
Any thoughts appreciated.

I did my own search since I don't know what comps they found.

Used 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4WD for Sale (with Photos) - CarGurus

Used 2010 Jeep Wrangler for Sale Near Me | Edmunds

2010 Jeep Wrangler for Sale (with Photos) - CARFAX

You're right. $14k is not out of line judging from the various prices and mileage. I don't think you will do any better.

There are none of these for sale within 500 miles.

I put in a Denver zip code: Found many. Cars with comparable mileage to yours averaging $14k. Some less than $14k.

Used Jeep Wrangler for Sale in Arvada, CO - CarGurus

Used Jeep Wrangler for Sale Near Arvada, CO - Special Offers | Edmunds

2010 Jeep Wrangler for Sale in Arvada, CO (with Photos) - CARFAX

This is the second time I have had the opportunity to verify a CCC evaluation and found it to be accurate.

Back