Can my ex husband remove my daughter from my home?

Dperry

Jurisdiction
New York
I temporarily gave my ex husband custody of my daughter. The reason I gave him custody was because I was offered a promotion with my job in another state and I wanted them in a stable situation until I was finished I later decided not to take the position. He physically had her for 7 months when she was returned to me I was given a notarized letter returning custody. She's been with me for 4 years. He lives in New Jersey we live in New York. All paperwork was done in New York. Ive started the process of completely obtaining custody back with a court date in late October now he doesn't want her with me. Can he legally come and take her from me and move her to New Jersey. Im afraid he's trying to take her today.

Lots of vague pronouns. It makes a difference. Is this his daughter too? Do you have a current custody agreement that has been approved by the court right now? Forget notarized letters as they are useless and mean nothing. Both of you must abide by the currently in place and court approved custody agreement. If that says he has custody, he gets the kid. If it says you have custody, you keep her. Come October either or both of you can petition for a new arrangement.

Back