can I hold a belonging until debt is paid?

Jurisdiction
Alberta
I was living with a girl and 2 other roommates and during this time she was a little short on cash. I agreed to help her out as long as she would pay me back. She ended up owing me 200 dollars. She has now moved out and left a mattress here. She never told us anything about what she wanted to do about the matress just that she would be completely moved out on the 1st (approx. A week ago now.) We didn't here from her again so I got rid of the bed. To have the room ready for the next tennant. She now wants the bed back, I am able to retrieve it but other then this bed I have no comfort that she will be paying me the 200 dollars back. Am I legally able to keep the bed here until she pays me the money she owes?

No. It is her bed. You do not get to decide which of her belongings she gets access to until the debt is paid.

Did the US recently annex Canada and nobody thought to tell us?

You can likely keep the bed without consequence. She would have to initiate a small claims case if she wants to be compensated for the bed, at which time you could make your counter claim for what she owes you. Usually this is more hassle than what it is worth and people don't follow through.
No, you do not have to return the bed, but you could potentially be sued for the value of it.

Back