can i get custody of my niece

lia82

Jurisdiction
Kansas
My step sister is in to drugs and has left my niece with her step father, who does drugs too, for the 3rd time in a couple of months to go on a drug bender. No one who is blood related to her is doing anything. My niece is 13. I have a part time job as a librarian and get food stamps. I know financially I m not prime choice but I love her and make sure she was taken care of. Could I get custody and if so, what would be my first step. I don't want her in the system.

Could I get custody

Chances are slim to none and slim has left the building.

I don't want her in the system.

If the child is in danger you report it to CPS. If CPS confirms that the child is in danger they will remove the child from the parents and place the child as appropriate.

You may certainly apply to CPS to be guardian but your chances are going to be nil, not just because you lack the financial ability (especially being on welfare), but because you are a family member so there is a great risk of the child being exposed to the same druggy parents.

You deny that possibility, of course, but CPS has the experience with many families to want to avoid that possibility by not giving a child to relatives.

The best thing you can do for the child (though you likely will have difficulty accepting that) is to report the problem to CPS.

On the other hand, CPS is usually short of foster families, so having a family member ready willing and able to take the child would certainly be considered. In fact in the case of my husband's grandkids, they went to him and asked if he would be willing to take them(small town).
So I would suggest you contact CPS and let them know that you would be willing to take the child.

Back