Breach of contract: Due Bill

Kvin

Jurisdiction
California
I purchased a new vehicle in August of 2015. In the negotiations the sales man specified the benefit of buying the car in that dealership, which was to get the vip package; vip package is free oil changes for life and free new tires for life( also other sevices if major service is done with them) if all the recomender services from the manufacturer were done in their dealership. The vip notice was added to the due bill aswell as 2 other additional services we purchased (alarm, extra clear protection on paint and inside of car). I understand that if I would do all the manufacturer recommended services with them they will be overcharged as every other dealership does, but this dealership got sold to another dealership, when we purchased the vehicle the salesman informed us they were building a new dealership down the street, to a bigger building and better access. Now we are informed that the new dealership will not honor the vip package because that was the old dealership. Shouldn't they have to honor all the contracts if the whole dealership was purchased? Would this be consider a breach of contract? The name of the dealership that was sold still has other dealerships in other cities, would their main (mother) company be responsible if we want them to honor or take back the car and repay me the payments I have made?
Thanks for any advice in advance

Sadly, if it sounds too good to be true then it's almost certainly too good to be true. Lifetime deals are usually similar unlimited deals - somewhat misleading and illusory. There is always a limit to what is infinite or, for the purpose of conversation, a period of time estimated to be well past a reasonable time. And if any vendor would honor these deals to the letter of the impression they would likely go out of business long before the end of the stated duration.

The first thing you need to do is look at the contract you signed and read all the fine print. Your agreement is with company ABC. What the salesman is telling you is that now there is company DEF that is running the show and at a different location. And DEF may not have actually bought the business but the business assets, not the agreements that run with the company. I won't get into details about whether you might have a claim against company DEF but chances are you'll have a very difficult time, especially if you try to do this on your own without numbers from other customers. Technically this new company is a completely different entity, like a new person.

Regarding the other dealerships, you need to look at your contract. Are those even owned by the same company or are they franchises that are owned by individuals who are using the trade name of the franchisor?

This isn't an easy situation and I'm sorry to hear about your problem. You may want to consult with an attorney as to the situation with your agreement. And there is no substitution for reading the fine print in the contract. Wishing you the best of luck.

Back