Boss gave away my job while I was on vacation.

jlbost3

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I work at an HVAC company in North Carolina. I started out doing install for one year and moved to office manager because the current one retired and installing HVAC is bad for my sciatica. Another year passed and I went on my honeymoon for two weeks using my paid vacation time. When I returned from my vacation the boss had hired someone else to manage the office and he wants me to go back and work in the field. I graduated from college with a bachelor of science in business administration and that is ultimately what I am working towards as a career. He didn't technically fire me but is he allowed to just give my position to someone else like that legally?

You have a bachelor's degree why not start your own HVAC business and you run it? That way you can hire your own office manager and HVAC tech team and tell them what is going to happen. I'm afraid that you are going to find the job market for such degrees significantly lacking and very competitive.

The business world is one of who you know not what you know. However, business degrees do have value to making successful business owners and entrepreneurs.

Good Luck.

The business world is one of who you know not what you know.

It's a mix of both. If you don't at least know the minimum knowledge needed for the job then in most well run businesses you wouldn't be hired even if a close buddy worked there in a position of influence. The exception is when the buddy is the owner of the business. Sometimes they'll hire a useless friend just because of the friendship, but the owner pays a lot for that.

Another year passed and I went on my honeymoon for two weeks using my paid vacation time. When I returned from my vacation the boss had hired someone else to manage the office and he wants me to go back and work in the field.
The job slot in which you toiled away day after day seeking to be paid in dollars for your efforts was never yours.

The bosses simply retained your services for a finite time. By the way, had you suddenly inherited your deceased Aunt Martha's $5,000,000,000 fortune, you'd likely have immediately resigned your position to grieve her passing anyway.

Think about the life you're living, it's a leasehold for the years you stand vertically with a beating heart and a functioning brain.

However, that lease will one day not be renewed and you and I will be cremated or laid to rest six feet underground.

NOTHING is forever, and the things we're allowed to do won't last into perpituity.

As recently deceased radio commentator, Rush Limbaugh was wont to regularly say, "Talent, on loan from God."

No matter who we believe we are, how powerful, how wealthy we become, we're ALL living on borrowed time. So, buckle up, smile, be kind to others, because it all will end in time.

The job slot in which you toiled away day after day seeking to be paid in dollars for your efforts was never yours.

The bosses simply retained your services for a finite time. By the way, had you suddenly inherited your deceased Aunt Martha's $5,000,000,000 fortune, you'd likely have immediately resigned your position to grieve her passing anyway.

Think about the life you're living, it's a leasehold for the years you stand vertically with a beating heart and a functioning brain.

However, that lease will one day not be renewed and you and I will be cremated or laid to rest six feet underground.

NOTHING is forever, and the things we're allowed to do won't last into perpituity.

As recently deceased radio commentator, Rush Limbaugh was wont to regularly say, "Talent, on loan from God."

No matter who we believe we are, how powerful, how wealthy we become, we're ALL living on borrowed time. So, buckle up, smile, be kind to others, because it all will end in time.
Bro what I came here for legal advice

would he have to pay unemployment since he terminated me from a position I was able to do and moved me into a position I am not able to do?

It's a mix of both. If you don't at least know the minimum knowledge needed for the job then in most well run businesses you wouldn't be hired even if a close buddy worked there in a position of influence. The exception is when the buddy is the owner of the business. Sometimes they'll hire a useless friend just because of the friendship, but the owner pays a lot for that.

LOL, isn't that way in the utility business as long as you have a pulse know the right people. You could be the most incompetent person on the earth and you still get a check cause your such in such brother or uncle or son or whatever.

LOL, isn't that way in the utility business as long as you have a pulse know the right people. You could be the most incompetent person on the earth and you still get a check cause your such in such brother or uncle or son or whatever.

I specified a well run business. :D

Of course, a poorly run business might well hire all kinds of incompetent people, based on knowing some other incompetent person in the business or some other irrelevant factor.

A lot of utilities fall into that latter category because they have no competition in the market in which they operate. So they can afford to take on some dunces and still make money. If the business is in a competitive market, though, taking on those dunces and otherwise being poorly run typically means it won't be in business all that long.

Your boss has the right to hire someone more competent and transfer you to a different position within the company whenever he wants. You're free to find another job. You taking a two week vacation gave him the opportunity to hire someone new who is probably better suited to the position of office manager. It happens. Get over it.

Back