15 year old daughter kept by her father in the U.S.

Hello, thank you for your advice but may I remind you that there is a court order in place that would put him in contempt of court when he holds her back?

Thanks for reminding me of something I already knew.
Do you know what "contempt" means?
Even if he were held in contempt, he'd receive an oral admonishment from a judge: "Mr. Jones, don't do that again, okay?"
Maybe, just maybe a small fine about $100.
In all honesty, I'm guessing NOTHING will happen, assuming that is, the child is ever returned from the US to Belgium.

This is not about a nobody loser like me.

It's about you being reunited with your child.

Try to stay focused.

Nothing else would matter to me, no one else would matter to me, just reuniting with my child.

Do not ignore a court order. I do not know what the options are in Belgium for modifying a custody order but that is something you can discuss with a lawyer in your country. I understand this is her father and that after 17 years of marriage, you two know him better than anyone. This is important; do you have a reason to believe the child is actually in physical danger from her father? Or is he just arguing with you about her return and limiting contact during the visit?

I wouldn't start hounding relatives through FB. Not that it can get you in legal trouble, just that it isn't their job to enforce your custody agreement, and as of yet, it doesn't sound like he has violated anything. Threatening to make you come get her at the end of her stay is not the same as abduction. He could just be trying to make you squirm.

It does not take years to get your child back from the US, so do not start fretting that you won't see her until adulthood or this will necessarily drag on for years. I have a former co-worker who was in your shoes in reverse. Thankfully, you are both in countries under the treaty, which makes it much easier. You can read more here Protecting the best interests of children | International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children and here Child Focus, which is likely the agency you need to contact in Belgium.

Back