drug screen lab notified employer of medical conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roscoe65

Had left employmentat company 8 years ago one of many to leave when an old boss was witch hunting for drug users creating rumors. No positive drug screen or evidance against me then, none since with pre-employment and random healthcare screens numbering at least 6 over the years. Taking attention defecit med prescribed and monitered by md. last employment was drug tx center and staff was aware and were more concerned with noncompliance in taking med than abuse. Applied with the old facility and was hired after file pulled and reviewed ect. Told to swing by and fill out my w2 forms and it seemed they thought I would be suprised to report for a drug test(no mention in previous contacts,no handbook given till test was mentioned), No surprise to me its random and routine in my field but are ussually done at the areas well respected dot ect hospital occupational med lab where state of art testing requires 10 cc's and test is comprehensive. This test was to be run at a non dot lab housed at my own MD's lab whose related to my new employer. Should be no problem they are supposed to be seperate really and the mro can confirm test with my md over coffee. Same MD has seen my for urinary obstuction problems-when I was 5cc's less than the 45cc's their cost cutting cheap urine test was not enough to register temp the collectors began to get that "Oh something to hide attitude" Had told employer before they even mentioned their drug test that I had one scheduled for the other prn job I was taking. Collectors were told this and to call hr and see if the md could draw blood at my expense since he could verify problem at same time. Instead, cold speciman was thrown out, no documentation on the sheet that I was 5cc's short and a call to hr that I was being evasive. Then my MD's nurse who shouldn't have been in collection area tells me not to forget to tell them about the med and then gave them my diagnosis stating the md would verify legality when test came out positve. (Collectors don't need that info the medical review will call you and then your md). I finnally produced after much water and was then told it looked dilute(I am a medical proffesional more advanced than collector). With my credentials established she proceeded with steps to secure speciman-I leave rather miffed as I was not allowed to call other employer to explain delay(missed one drug test because I could'nt leave until I started another) and would lose job. Was informed by HR when I got home I couldn't report monday because it was a scheduled drug I was taking and had to be sent to another lab even though MD verified diagnosis and legality. It should have gone to mro and no diagnosis let alone specifics about med she have been released to employer. Of course the test went out for confirmation even though he'd already verified-its dea rules and I let hr know as much. Of course with my being pulled off monday because of the drug test rumors were probably flying and ignorance leads people to believe all ad/adhed meds are abused. Tuesday I get a call that I was told to report that morning and I was no call no show which they took to mean I took back my job acceptance so they were withdrawing the offer. This was on my answering machine with the boss on loudspeaker notifying me hr was in the room. Of course the screen was now officially negative but since to them it was positive they were cutting me loose. This is why confidential information shouldn't be shared with employer. Had changed my mind about it anyway and don't care. Have no axe to grind with employer but does anyone know if lab and mds nurse have violated anything other than hippa. The 'keep it in the family" thing concerns me in regard to the employees who might be sent for testing-are they told the lab is connected to the employer sending them to be tested.

Use paragraphs.

Cut this in half.

Delete editorial comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back