Auto repair shop liability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKF1808

Seeking any advice on what to do next:

My college son had a ball joint & tie rod repaired last week on his car (passenger side), a wheel alignment was also done. He picked up the car and began the drive home 400 miles for Thanksgiving. Approx 100 miles from home he experienced sudden shaking of the steering wheel followed by the immediate loss of the drivers side wheel. Another vehicle was severly damaged by the flying wheel. An insurance claim was filed.

The auto repair shop was notified and they sent a flat bed truck to pick up the car. However, they tell my son that it's not their fault since the wheel fell off the opposite side of where the work had been performed. My son asked them to check out the vehicle again, since he had orginally advised them to check out the entire front end. They called back - telling him again that it was not their fault, BUT their technician mentioned he had noticed some "shaking" when he drove the car. My son was not advised of the shaking, nor had anything been noted on the repair bill of additional work needed. No problems were noticed until seconds before the wheel fell off.

The insurance company gives little advice, my son has no method of transportation, the repair shop wants to be reimbured for the 300 mile tow, the owner of the damaged vehicle calls him daily with demands for money and repair. My son is a full time college student who maintains his own insurance, and has limited funds. I'm a single mom who's financially stretched with trying to keep him in school.

What recourse, if any do we have?

Thanks for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back